Burst Water Heater Caused Damage to Lower Unit - Lawyer Needed

Burst Water Heater Caused Damage to Lower Unit - Lawyer Needed

Broomfield, CO · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 3 votes

Hi Bigger Pockets Community,

I am looking for advice to help with a bad insurance and water heater situation in my Westminster, Colorado, rental.

Background:  Purchased an upper level condo unit and also purchased a Home Warranty Protection Insurance Product.  When the water heater began leaking I contacted the Home Warranty company as required by them to receive covered service.  One of their contracted electricians came out and determined a new water heater was required.  They then installed a new water heater.  Three weeks later a part popped off of the newly installed water heater causing massive flooding and damage to the unit below me.  My homeowners insurance will not pay, claiming it was a faulty installation that caused the damage (I believe they are correct), the Home Warranty Company is denying any fault, and the home owners insurance from the unit below me says I will soon receive a letter from their property insurance company demanding I pay for the damage.  

Yikes!  

It's time to consult a lawyer for advice, and so I am seeking your help to steer me to a or some Colorado lawyers who have expertise with such issues.

Does anyone out there have a suggestions?

0Reply
24 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Judy Mitchell:

    Hi Bigger Pockets Community,

    I am looking for advice to help with a bad insurance and water heater situation in my Westminster, Colorado, rental.

    Background:  Purchased an upper level condo unit and also purchased a Home Warranty Protection Insurance Product.  When the water heater began leaking I contacted the Home Warranty company as required by them to receive covered service.  One of their contracted electricians came out and determined a new water heater was required.  They then installed a new water heater.  Three weeks later a part popped off of the newly installed water heater causing massive flooding and damage to the unit below me.  My homeowners insurance will not pay, claiming it was a faulty installation that caused the damage (I believe they are correct), the Home Warranty Company is denying any fault, and the home owners insurance from the unit below me says I will soon receive a letter from their property insurance company demanding I pay for the damage.  

    Yikes!  

    It's time to consult a lawyer for advice, and so I am seeking your help to steer me to a or some Colorado lawyers who have expertise with such issues.

    Does anyone out there have a suggestions?

     Sorry to hear about the problems. Any real estate attorney could handle this. 

  • CO · Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 9 votes
    7y

    Judy, I picked my RE lawyer in CO using AVVO. Also used it to help my SO find a custody lawyer, both times the lawyers worked out great. Jbp Legal is who I used for RE in Colorado. Good luck.

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Franscona might be worth looking into. 

  • Broomfield, CO · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Tom S.  Thank you - first time I've heard of AVVO before and appreciate knowing about it.   

    @Matt M.  Is this a law firm?

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    https://frascona.com

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.