New Member Intro - Seeking Mentorship

New Member Intro - Seeking Mentorship

Member since 2025 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hello Everyone,

I am excited to join this community and dive into the world of real estate investing. A little background about myself... I currently live in the midwest but originally from Florida. My wife and I are finishing up our residency/fellowship training in the next couple of years and will be moving to Tampa for our full-time jobs. We hope to start investing single family/multifamily homes once we are settled down in the area and I am looking for a mentor (possibly someone who is local to that area) to learn all I can from. We hope to look into investing in the Tampa, Sarasota, Bradenton, Lakewood Ranch areas which are in proximity to where we will be living and working. 

General Questions:

How is the process of securing a traditional mortgage while having a large amount of student loan debt (dual physician household).

How does one best search for deals in an expensive market such as Tampa/Sarasota.

How can I best prepare myself the next 24 months to be ready to make my first deal? How much capital is a good amount to save etc. 

Hoping to connect with investors, lenders, property managers in that market. I am eager to learn!

Matt



1Reply
103 views

Most Popular Reply

Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
1y

Hey Matthew, great to see your excitement. I’ve been investing in Tampa for over 22 years, done more than 3,500 transactions, and built my portfolio from zero to 40+ properties using this exact strategy I’m about to share. Before you choose your first property, you’ve got to know what your last one looks like—meaning, what’s your end goal? Cash flow? Equity? Scaling? That answer shapes everything. Real estate is a domino effect. You start small with intention. The smaller domino hits a slightly bigger one, and momentum builds. Each deal sets up the next. If you trap your cash or make a move out of order, it slows you down. But if you do it right, one deal turns into three, three into ten, and before you know it, you’re scaling with confidence. There are certain neighborhoods and cities around Tampa that are better suited for specific strategies, so it all depends on your plan. Let’s connect if you want to dive deeper—I’m happy to help however I can.

Graystone Investment Group4.6271 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    1y

    Hey Matthew, great to see your excitement. I’ve been investing in Tampa for over 22 years, done more than 3,500 transactions, and built my portfolio from zero to 40+ properties using this exact strategy I’m about to share. Before you choose your first property, you’ve got to know what your last one looks like—meaning, what’s your end goal? Cash flow? Equity? Scaling? That answer shapes everything. Real estate is a domino effect. You start small with intention. The smaller domino hits a slightly bigger one, and momentum builds. Each deal sets up the next. If you trap your cash or make a move out of order, it slows you down. But if you do it right, one deal turns into three, three into ten, and before you know it, you’re scaling with confidence. There are certain neighborhoods and cities around Tampa that are better suited for specific strategies, so it all depends on your plan. Let’s connect if you want to dive deeper—I’m happy to help however I can.

    Graystone Investment Group4.6271 Reviews
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    1y

    @Matthew Montanarella

                  "How can I best prepare myself the next 24 months to be ready"

    Network with other investors and professionals that you will need to work with, lenders in particular. Then go our and look at LOTS of deals; , open houses Listed properties; FSBO, Wholesalers deals on site auctions, and other investors properties etc.

    I wrote a blog her many years ago yo might find useful 

    How to find a mentor

  • Member since 2025 · 52 posts · 12 votes
    1y

    Welcome to the community, Matt! 

    Tampa, Sarasota, and Lakewood Ranch are great markets with lots of potential. As a physician household, you may qualify for physician loan programs that are more flexible with student debt — definitely worth looking into.

    Start networking early with local agents and investors to stay ahead in a competitive market. I’m based in Tampa and happy to connect or answer any questions as you prepare for your first deal. Wishing you and your wife all the best on this journey!

    -Christian Tateo

  • Terrance HillPro Member
    Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2010 · 425 posts · 117 votes
    1y

    Hi Matthew,

    Welcome to BP and congrats on wrapping up residency! 

    With physician loans, you can usually qualify for a mortgage even with high student debt. Many lenders offer physician-specific programs with low down payments and more flexible DTI requirements.

    In a competitive market, networking is key. Connect with local agents and wholesalers, and look at off-market strategies like direct mail or driving for dollars to uncover deals others miss.

    In the next 24 months, focus on saving 20–25% for a down payment and closing costs, and spend time learning the market. You could attend local REI meetups, follow investors on BP, and practice analyzing deals so you're confident when the right one comes along.

  • Lender · Tampa/Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2014 · 356 posts · 148 votes
    1y

    Welcome, Matt! 🙌 I’m a local mortgage broker and investor based in the Tampa Bay area — love that you’re thinking ahead and already planning your path.

    Dual physician households with student loans are more common than you think, and there are definitely mortgage options that factor that in. Would be happy to walk you through what to expect and how to position yourself over the next 24 months, both for lending and investing in our market.

    I would suggest working with an agent that knows investing and knows the market well. I have a couple great agents that I work closely with and can refer. 

    As far as capital, it really depends on whether you will be living in it (house hack) or buying straight investment properties. House hacks will be 3-5% purchase price minimum + closing costs, investments will be 15% minimum.  

    Feel free to reach out if you ever want to chat!

  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    1y

    Hey Matt, welcome and congrats on planning ahead—that alone puts you ahead of most. I’ve been investing in Tampa for over 22 years, done over 3,500 deals, and helped a lot of dual-income professionals like you get started the smart way. Student loans won’t hold you back if you structure the financing right, especially with physician loan programs. The next 24 months are all about education, stacking capital, and building relationships. Learn how to run numbers, explore creative financing, and stay focused on your long-term goal. You never know, you might even land a subject-to deal with infinite returns. Truth is, you don’t need money—you just need a good idea and the right people to present it to. And finally, to me the most important thing is to quantify the actions in small steps that will create the long-term results you want. I’ve always said you need to know your last property before you buy your first one. It’s a domino effect, and that first domino has to be just a little smaller than the next. I’m local and always here to help, feel free to inbox me anytime.

    Graystone Investment Group4.6271 Reviews
  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    1y

    Hey @Matthew Montanarella, congrats on making the move and almost finishing up your residency! There are physician loans that overlook student loan balances for people in similar situations as yourself, when looking to buy a home. Feel free to reach out with any questions regarding that and what the requirements are.

    If you need a solid realtor who is also an investor, I recommend reaching out to @Josh Green! He has helped many people that are in a similar situation as yourself. 

    First time homebuyers just so you know, can qualify for as little as 0-3% down payment! If the seller covers your closing costs, then you're pretty much good to go aside from having reserves saved for a rainy day. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.