Beginner investor in the Tacoma/Seattle area

Beginner investor in the Tacoma/Seattle area

Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 23 votes

Hello my name is James and I live in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I have a lucky enough to have a good amount of leftover income and I am interested in putting it to use in real estate rather than putting it all in a retirement account. I am mostly interested in getting started with a house hack (preferably more than 1 door, like a duplex, triplex, or four-plex) then either migrating to another house hack and keep repeating or explore simply buying long term rentals. Western WA has an expensive market so I am looking for agents, lenders, attorneys, and CPA's that can help me get started. I have my personal emergency funds saved up and now all I am doing is saving up for my first down payment.

7Reply
327 views

Most Popular Reply

Brittany FrenchBusiness Member
Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 8 votes
1y

Hi James,

Property Manager here, managing from Everett to Tacoma.  I suggest avoiding Tacoma, they have the most restrictions (even more that Seattle). The tenant pools in blue collar areas such as Auburn, Sumner, Des Moines, Burien are some of the best areas to operate. We've had some of our most difficult situations in Federal Way & Kent, I'd avoid those areas as well.  You'll have the easiest time with 3 bed / 1.5 bath + garage + w/d in unit. This unit configuration will attract the most, best qualified tenants who will stay long term, respect the property and pay rent on time (or at the very least, communicate if they are having difficulty paying rent).  Talk to Sean Smith on this thread, he'll represent your immediate & long term interests when making an acquisition. 

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2021 · 57 posts · 21 votes
    1y

    Hey James! I started my real estate investing journey out in the Tacoma/Seattle area with flips and have 2 rental properties out there. I couldn't have done it without my investor friendly real estate agent, who I can connect you with. Let's connect and I can share his info! 

    • Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 23 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Keenan Cromshaw:

      Hey James! I started my real estate investing journey out in the Tacoma/Seattle area with flips and have 2 rental properties out there. I couldn't have done it without my investor friendly real estate agent, who I can connect you with. Let's connect and I can share his info! 

      Sure I am happy to connect! I am about a year away from actually having the finances saved up for a purchase but I certainly want to learn and network as much as possible in the interim.
  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2023 · 831 posts · 577 votes
    1y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets @James Jordan. House hacking is one of the easiest way to get into RE investing. I’ve seen a lot of investors begin with a duplex and house hack one side. A few things to look out for when you start to look for deals is running the numbers both ways with and without you living there so you know what it looks like once you move out. Pay attention to the condition of the big ticket items like the roof, furnaces, and windows, and lastly check if they’re separately metered.

  • Joseph TadresPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2025 · 184 posts · 179 votes
    1y

    Hey @James Jordan, I’d say start with a house hack so rent helps with your mortgage, get your team, lender, agent, CPA, and attorney in place early, and focus on deals that actually make sense before growing your portfolio.

  • Terrance HillPro Member
    Realtor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2010 · 425 posts · 117 votes
    1y

    Welcome, James! House hacking is such a solid way to get started — especially in a market like Seattle/Tacoma. Sounds like you’re setting yourself up the right way. Curious, have you started looking at specific neighborhoods yet, or still in the early research stage?

    • Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 23 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Terrance Hill:

      Welcome, James! House hacking is such a solid way to get started — especially in a market like Seattle/Tacoma. Sounds like you’re setting yourself up the right way. Curious, have you started looking at specific neighborhoods yet, or still in the early research stage?

      I have not started looking in specific neighborhoods yet but I do know that I generally want to live between the Puyallup and Kent area as I work in Kent. And I definitely want to stay out of Seattle and stay south of Seattle as well.
  • Lender · Nationwide · Member since 2023 · 362 posts · 237 votes
    1y

    Hi James, I'm also based in the Seattle area. I think house hacking is a great way to get started. I'm an investor myself with 8 doors across Memphis and Detroit. I'm also a mortgage broker if you have any questions around financing. Let me know if you want to connect and knowledge share.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 923 votes
    1y

    @James Jordan

    Congrats on taking the first step! Starting with a duplex, triplex, or four-plex is a smart way to learn hands-on about managing tenants, cash flow, and expenses while building equity. Focusing on house hacking first gives you experience and cash flow before scaling into additional rentals. Building a reliable team of agents, lenders, and property professionals early will make a big difference as you expand your portfolio.

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Congrats on committing to buying a house hack! It is The most accessible way to get into an expensive market such as Seattle is via house hacking. If you're trying to boost the cash flow, I'd say you can look into rent by the bedroom. 

    As a house hacker from a tax perspective, it's crucial to identify rental vs personal use and to make sure you have the appropriate basis (which impacts amount of depreciation). 

  • Sean SmithBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Seattle, WA · Member since 2020 · 161 posts · 105 votes
    1y

    @James Jordan exciting to hear you're exploring the puget sound region! There's a lot to learn along the way, but having an investor-focused agent, CPA, property manager, and lender can help speed up the learning curve a ton.

    I'm helping a few clients buy house-hack opportunities in the Puyallup/Tacoma area right now and also exploring this strategy within bus distance from downtown Seattle. Very familiar with these submarkets and would be glad to offer guidance where you need it!

    Fellow Real Estate Services537 Reviews
    • Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 23 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Sean Smith:

      @James Jordan exciting to hear you're exploring the puget sound region! There's a lot to learn along the way, but having an investor-focused agent, CPA, property manager, and lender can help speed up the learning curve a ton.

      I'm helping a few clients buy house-hack opportunities in the Puyallup/Tacoma area right now and also exploring this strategy within bus distance from downtown Seattle. Very familiar with these submarkets and would be glad to offer guidance where you need it!

      Hi Sean! I am quite a ways out from having enough capital to buy my first property but I would be super happy just to pick your brain and see if I can optimize my strategy to get me going in the right direction from the get go!
  • Member since 2023 · 34 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Move to Joplin MO and do house hacks there. That’s where I started. Awesome cash flowing properties 

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    CPA here - it's absolutely crucial when you buy a property to get your basis right. This impacts depreciation. 
    You will also want to make sure you allocate between rental and personal use. 

  • Brittany FrenchBusiness Member
    Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    Hi James,

    Property Manager here, managing from Everett to Tacoma.  I suggest avoiding Tacoma, they have the most restrictions (even more that Seattle). The tenant pools in blue collar areas such as Auburn, Sumner, Des Moines, Burien are some of the best areas to operate. We've had some of our most difficult situations in Federal Way & Kent, I'd avoid those areas as well.  You'll have the easiest time with 3 bed / 1.5 bath + garage + w/d in unit. This unit configuration will attract the most, best qualified tenants who will stay long term, respect the property and pay rent on time (or at the very least, communicate if they are having difficulty paying rent).  Talk to Sean Smith on this thread, he'll represent your immediate & long term interests when making an acquisition. 

    • Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 23 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Brittany French:

      Hi James,

      Property Manager here, managing from Everett to Tacoma.  I suggest avoiding Tacoma, they have the most restrictions (even more that Seattle). The tenant pools in blue collar areas such as Auburn, Sumner, Des Moines, Burien are some of the best areas to operate. We've had some of our most difficult situations in Federal Way & Kent, I'd avoid those areas as well.  You'll have the easiest time with 3 bed / 1.5 bath + garage + w/d in unit. This unit configuration will attract the most, best qualified tenants who will stay long term, respect the property and pay rent on time (or at the very least, communicate if they are having difficulty paying rent).  Talk to Sean Smith on this thread, he'll represent your immediate & long term interests when making an acquisition. 


      Hi Brittany! I greatly appreciate your insight and details revolving around which cities I should avoid or lean towards. I have lived in Auburn before and I definitely wouldn't mind living there again. For my first property I am going to give it a go at managing it myself and see where that takes me but I am certain I will need a PM in the future and I will keep you in mind!

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @James Jordan:

    Hello my name is James and I live in the Seattle/Tacoma area. I have a lucky enough to have a good amount of leftover income and I am interested in putting it to use in real estate rather than putting it all in a retirement account. I am mostly interested in getting started with a house hack (preferably more than 1 door, like a duplex, triplex, or four-plex) then either migrating to another house hack and keep repeating or explore simply buying long term rentals. Western WA has an expensive market so I am looking for agents, lenders, attorneys, and CPA's that can help me get started. I have my personal emergency funds saved up and now all I am doing is saving up for my first down payment.

    Welcome. I'd rather own two properties in the Tri-Cities where you'll be respected and the properties will be taken care of, than one in Pierce Co or King Co where the grief exceeds the profits. Just sayin'
  • Member since 2025 · 194 posts · 140 votes
    1y

    Welcome to the group.

    As you embark on building and expanding your real estate portfolio, one of the most important steps you can take is establishing a strong, proactive asset protection strategy.

    Real estate investing offers great potential, but it also carries inherent risks, from lawsuits and liability claims to unforeseen creditor issues. Without the right safeguards, your hard-earned assets could be vulnerable. Implementing the proper legal and financial structures can help shield your personal wealth, reduce your exposure to litigation, and limit access for potential creditors. In many cases, having these protections in place also strengthens your position during negotiations or legal disputes, often resulting in more favorable outcomes.

    To navigate these complexities effectively, I highly recommend assembling a trusted team of qualified professionals. This should include an experienced tax advisor with a strong background in real estate, as well as an asset protection attorney who understands your investment strategy and personal risk tolerance. The right advisors can help you design a structure tailored to your goals, saving you time, stress, and money as your portfolio grows.

    Investing wisely isn’t just about finding the right properties, it’s also about protecting what you build along the way. Wishing you success, and peace of mind in your investment journey.

    Disclaimer: This message is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or advisory relationship is created by this communication. Always consult with qualified professionals familiar with your specific situation before making any decisions

  • Brandon VukelichBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tacoma, WA: 🏢 27 LTRs 🏡 3 STRs · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 456 votes
    1y

    @James Jordan start with lenders first. An agent can't help you until we know what you can afford and they type of financing you're planning to use. Seek referrals vs. googling something or going straight to Better or Rocket. Any experienced agent should have 2-3 good local lenders to refer. Good to speak to your CPA but you're likely a long ways out from needing an attorney for anything. Put that on the back burner.

    Yes, Seattle and Tacoma suck for small housing providers. I still own in North Tacoma which is a lot different than East Tacoma, so neighborhoods matter. Depending on your budget, shooting for a duplex in Seattle or South King will cost quite a bit more than a duplex in Spanaway/Parkland. Not sure how familiar you are with the neighborhoods and small multifamily pricing. If you're planning to house-hack, you're going to have an advantage over non-owner occ investors. If you're going to self-manage, please consider joining the Rental Housing Association of WA. If you have any questions about certain neighborhoods in King and Pierce or need input on particular multifamily properties, send me DM. Best wishes on your journey!

    Broker at Multifamily Properties519 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 427 votes
    1y

    There are many ways to house hack: room rentals/co-living, ADUs, multi-units, our team can guide you to get your first property!

  • Member since 2024 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Hi, James, 

    I may have something of interest. Currently researching and scoping the situation & property. It’s a slim item for other exits and may be ideal for a house hack. It’s a full gut, though, and on a timeline. I’m happy to share what I learn. I am not in a position to rehab the property & neither is the owner. 

    I have a network of aging friends and family with aging friends and families; it’s a whole new world of challenges; people don’t listen; they may be unrealistic beyond comprehension; they fail to heed warnings or do anything; and so on. I offer what I can in options, knowledge, resource info, and maybe a solution. 

    My challenge is a network of attorney contacts. I’m saddened for an earlier situation I wasn’t able to assist (lost their 5 acres & I don’t know what’s happened to them yet). 

  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 453 votes
    1y

    Hey James, sounds like you're on a solid path. Starting with a house hack in a duplex or triplex is a great way to offset your housing costs while building equity and experience. In the Seattle/Tacoma market, it's smart to build a team early, an investor-friendly agent, lender, CPA, and attorney can make a big difference as you scale.

    You're already ahead with emergency savings and a focus on the first down payment. While saving, track local multifamily listings and get familiar with financing options like owner-occupied and DSCR loans. When you're ready, getting pre-approved will help clarify your budget and timeline. Feel free to reach out anytime if you need help!

  • Michael HaasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @James Jordan HouseHacking was, is, & likely will forever be the #1 to get started, so you're on the right track there in my opinion! I'll echo Brittany's sentiment - Burien and similar areas are a lot more compelling than Tacoma under current regulations - we've been thrilled with the rents we're getting in nice South King County neighborhoods like Lake Burien. 

    Here's a couple tips for you as you get started Househacking:
    1. If you find a property with a second kitchen (ADU or MIL), be aware that 80% or more of those units have been built without permits. Not a deal breaker necessarily, but a risk to be aware of and mitigate. That said, two units, whether a MIL unit, ADU, DADU, or Duplex, is definitely the way to go - SFH's without the second unit rarely perform well unless you do rent-by-the-room or something else creative, which is tough to scale and a lot of hassle.

    2. Brush up on building code requirements: in basements you're looking for egress windows that are 5.7 sq feet or more openable (3ft by 3ft casement style windows work best), and ceiling heights 6ft 8 inches or greater (as little as 6 ft 4 inches is ok under ductwork and beams though)

    3. I've had success with cashflow rentals around Seattle by getting off the beaten path- particularly large 5-9 bedroom SFHs that you can househack by the room or split up with an ADU / MIL. Establishing a short term rental / airbnb is another great way to maximize rental income as you're starting out, and easy to convert back to a LTR or MTR if the strategy doesn't suit you.

    4. There are first time homebuyer assistance programs like WSHFC that you can get into a house for pretty much just the closing costs- could be just $6k - $25k up front cash to close on a $500k house. 

    If you have good credit, good W-2 income, and just a little bit of savings buying a house hack is a financial no-brainer in my opinion. We started with this strategy in 2013 and 12 years later its insane how much income our slowly & steadily built portfolio throws off. 

    Cheers and good luck! And seriously, message me anytime if you'd like to talk more about house-hacking, it's definitely changed my family's financial life and the lives of almost 100 of our clients for the better!

    HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.