New and excited member here! Brittany from Gainesville, Florida :)

19 Replies

Hi everyone!

I am a last year dental hygiene student with a love affair of real estate investing. I have just recently discovered this intriguing business and have not stopped educating myself since. I am still a young buck, at 22, and plan to spend the next year learning as much as I can about smart investing and creating trusting relationships within the real estate community. Even though I see myself excelling in this business over my dental career, I still am going through with finishing what I started and at least having my degree as a back up plan. Once I am finished, I will pack my bags and finally say goodbye to Florida and head back to my roots in California.

I feel an overwhelming amount of excitement for this journey, using BP to meet new colleagues, extend my marketing reach and use all the helpful resources to further my financial education. I would appreciate any advice/resources and constructive criticism from here on out and promise to reciprocate!

Look forward to networking with you all!

:)

Brittany Tucker

Promotion
Invex Capital Group
Real Estate Syndication
Cashflow Your Way to Freedom!
Invex Cap is a Texas based Real Estate Syndication that focuses on cash flowing real estate
Join today!

Welcome to BP!

Here are my Quick Tips (If you're listening to the Podcasts, you'll understand the reference. If not...see Tip #2!!!)

1. Get involved in the forums. Offer what you can and absorb what everyone else offers.

2. Listen to as many Podcasts as you can. I am listening to all of them, some of them more than once. There has not been a single broadcast that has not provided me value or that I felt was a waste of my time. Great content!!

3. Download and read the free How-to-Guides, starting with the Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing. You could pay thousands of dollars for this information BP offers free. (I almost did!)

4. Follow @Dmitriy Fomichenko 's advice and set up some keyword alerts. It will keep you engaged in valuable discussions, while you're getting plugged in.

5. Get involved with your local REIA's. Real Estate is, as I'm learning, all about relationships and networking. Make it work for you!

The BP community is awesome, and you've taken a great first step!

@Brittany Tucker  

Welcome to BP! This site will be a fantastic resource for you in your REI career. Be sure to check the "Network" tab to find other investors in your area or even in your future city of residence in Cali. Best of luck!

hey @Brittany Tucker  welcome to BiggerPockets! It's great to have you and I'm glad you're excited with your journey. I believe that the tons of information here is perfect for anyone starting out!

If you like, you can check this quick guide to learn how to use BiggerPockets to grow your business: http://www.biggerpockets.com/biz

See you around!

@Brittany Tucker  

Welcome. Your future profession should be the source of all the private money you will need. Take a good look at student housing see below. Time to build the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 80 past ones to catch up on.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good luck

Paul

Thank you everyone for the overwhelming amount of support and advice. I appreciate and will dive into researching every piece of it.

I am in a dilemma though and would love some words of wisdom. Like I stated above - I am about to start my last year of college and will most likely have to apply for yet again another loan. I am about 15k in debt with student loans into a career that I do not seeing myself pursue because of my interest with real estate.

So here's my question: Should I suck it up and finish my program (another 3k in loans, on top of the price of national and state boards to get my certificate & a year's worth of my time), or devote all of my time to investing in this business that I see myself partaking in for the long run?

Brittany

Promotion
Speed To Lead
Buy hot seller leads w/o subscription
Buy daily seller leads that are actually ready to sell
Finally there's a place where you can buy leads that asked for urgent help selling their house

@Brittany Tucker  My gut reaction to your most recent post...finish the program and get the certificate.  

During the year it is going to take to finish your program/certification you can spend time reading, listening to podcasts, asking questions, making connections, and digging deeper into the world of REI. Some good tips were already mentioned in this thread and I think if you dedicate "free time" while working on your current pursuit, you'll do well.

Welcome to BP!

Thank you Michael for your input.

That was definitely my plan coming into this year, but the only issue is that my program is very extensive and will consume the majority, if not all of my time.

I guess I have a lot to think about and consider. I don't usually let myself quit things, but I just don't want to waste my time and money.

I'd like to see how many people feel the same way. Honest opinions will really help me make a decision.

@Brittany Tucker  

Welcome to Bigger Pockets! There is a wealth of knowledge available on this website. Pretty much anything you can think of has been discussed in the forums. I use the search feature to find most of the topics I was curious about. The blogs are awesome as well. Best of luck finishing up Dental school and getting into this business. 

Regards, 

Micheal 

@Brittany Tucker  

You have to finish your degree (or atleast go get a full time decent paying stable job ASAP)

Banks aren't going to want to loan you much without stable income to back it up. As far as saying it will take up all your time ; I disagree with that. Everyone finds time for their hobbies and the things they really enjoy. If your truly passionate about real estate you will find yourself wanting to learn and grow a real estate business when you get home for the day vs wanting to watch tv; get on Facebook etc. it will be your "downtime" that calms you. 

Thank you for your input @Westin Hudnall  , I really appreciate the conviction in your opinion. No one has given me a straight up answer like that yet.

I think I will finish and fit in RE whenever possible. Big things coming from me after ten months though!

I quit college in my senior year to allow more time to a business I had just started.    Finishing sometimes for the sake of finishing makes little sense.    Sure, if you want something to fall back on i'd say finish the degree, but throwing good money after bad is a very bad habit to start with.       

Finishing a bad flip instead of getting out when you can?    Bad idea!!

Selling a rental that is eatting you alive with a tenant you can't handle....YOU BET! 

Forcing that square peg through the round hole can be done....it isn't worth the effort though.    I'd quit school on the day before graduation if the numbers told me to do it.

Make your own choices Brittany nobody here knows what is best for you.    With that said by the looks of your picture you are already at a huge advantage over most of us.  Anything less than big things would be a serious disappointment.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you