Transitioning into Real Estate

2 Replies

Bare with me, I have an unusual question and am seeking a little guidance as how to best accomplish some goals I have...

I am currently in the military and have been strongly considering transitioining back into the civilian sector. I will be applying to several MBA programs with an intent to specialize in real estate with a start time of Fall 2015. My ultimate goal is learn as much about real estate, start investing, and ultimately build a portfolio that will allow me to work for myself. Only issue is that if I transition out I need to have a W2 job that will still generate a steady income while I begin the path to real estate investment.

My question is this: what would be the recommended route to begin working in real estate to learn the industry, while going to business school part time, that will allow me to still generate an income? Residential real estate agent? Commercial firm? Something less conventional? Really just looking for any ideas and/or information that I might not have thought of already or opportunities that may help me in my transition.

Thanks for the help!

I would say look for work with a property management company or maybe a house flipper?  traditional real estate work really needs you to be ready 24/7 when an opportunity comes along.  not sure you will have that kind of time while in school.

Why go to school? Just go to a real estate school and get your license and get a job as a real estate agent. You'll learn the business and begin to create contacts and possibly build a partnership with someone. i just graduated from business school and incurred a lot of debt about 50k save yourself the hassle and just hop full force into real estate. Personally i did internships in college in commercial and residential real estate and residential was a lot more fun. My 2 cents. Good Luck.

Promotion
Contracoin
Bridging between Crypto and Real Estate
Get ready to buy your next property using Crypto
Using crypto to own property, leverage #CTCN in buying your next home and more
Time to buy property

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you