Hi. Noob from Albany, NY

9 Replies

Hi guys. My name is Ryan Davis, I'm a 27 year old long haul truck driver from upstate New York. I am interested in buying and holding multi family rental properties to create passive income for retirement. I listen to the bigger pockets podcast when I dive all the time, I think it is awesome and that's why I am joining!

I think I understand the big picture of owning real estate, but I have a few questions in regards to landloarding.

What is the best way to handle snow removal and lawn-care? Is it wise to have the tenants take care of it? 

Can landlords charge tenants for utilities such as water or is this something that should already be factored into the rent?

Can anyone recommend a good website for understanding landlord-tenant laws for New York State?

@Ryan Davis  

Hello and welcome to bigger pockets!

My husband and I are also from Albany NY and new to REI. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or if you'd like to connect.

I would recommend setting up your keyword alerts (that's how I found your post) and reading the The ultimate Beginners Guide.

Cherly Lare 

Promotion
Ashcroft Capital
A national multifamily investment firm
Three Reasons Investors May Prefer Real Estate
Read three reasons why investing in real estate private placements may provide several advantages.
Read More Here

Hello, Im in the Albany market as well. I suggest you join the local rei meet up that is held at the Holiday Inn Express in Latham every 3rd Monday of the month. They cover a ton of real estate related topics and the network there is amazing. Glenn who runs the meet up is a busy fix and flip investor who is very personable and down to earth. And he was actually on one of the earlier podcasts of BP I think somewhere in the 10-20th  episode. Most everyone there is extremely helpful and its good to be around other like minded investors.

@Gary Ray

Hi nice to meet you.  Thank you for the advice.  I went to meetup.com and joined that group.  I can't make the October meeting but the November meeting is on my calendar.  I'm excited!  I'll look for the podcast episode that Glen is on.   That's great.  Thank you.

Ben

Welcome to Biggerpocket!

We are also buy and hold investors with full time jobs. I self-manage all of our propeties. My favorite books for resources on tenant laws state specific is NOLO. Love there books if you want law information. There are tons of great information on Biggerpockets. We specialize as buy and hold investors who self manage out of state investors in class A properties.

Definitly check out the blogs, podcast and forums. Another great source of information is individual blogs found in peoples signatures. Many of us including myself write about our niche. The only thing we all agree about is investing in Real Estate. Beyond that there are many different style and types of investing. My blog/website is about long distance self management, landlording, investing in class A investments, investing in a transient lifestyle, etc.

Look forward to seeing you around!

Hey @Ryan Davis  welcome to BP! I'm glad you're enjoying the podcast. You should definitely start jumping right in the forums! Also, if you haven't yet, try to setup some "Keyword Alerts." It's great for getting into local conversations.

Also - here's a couple articles you might enjoy:

The 21 Best Real Estate Investing Books Ever

How to Rent Your House: The Definitive Step by Step Guide

How to Be a Landlord: Ten Tips for Success

See you around the site!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you