New investor in Tampa, FL area

New investor in Tampa, FL area

Brandon, FL · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 13 votes

Hi,

It's nice to virtually meet you all.  I apologize for not having a photo - but I'm having difficulty with uploading one.  I'll put it out there as soon as I'm able :)

My husband and I are thinking we'll start out with flipping, and possibly branch out to wholesaling, buy and holds, and private lending.  We'll probably try other areas down the road, but those are the first ones that come to mind.

I am a Realtor - got my license May, 2013.  I love what I do, but I'm sooo ready to take it to the next level.  I've wanted to invest in real estate for many years, and we're finally ready to take the plunge (yay!).  I've been spending every spare minute reading "The Ultimate Beginner's Guide" (which is excellent reading), and have signed up for some of the investing clubs here in the Tampa area.

My husband is currently a Home Inspector, but spent the majority of his life in the construction trades.  He has been an entrepreneur most of his life; starting with a car repair business in high school.  He traded that for a water well drilling business later on, and soon added a Remodeling and Victorian Restoration component, a Heating and Air component and a Plumbing component.  One of the blessings of being a well driller on new housing sites was that he usually had plenty of time on his hands to help the other contractors.  This was a great way for him to learn all of the different trades so he could apply them in his remodeling/restoration business.  About the only thing he doesn't do well now is trim work :)

Happy REI to you all! -Jennifer

2Reply
13 views

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets!

    You found the place to be! You will find no better place to build a solid platform than bigger pockets. The one thing we all agree up on is that we invest in real estate. Beyond that everyone has a different niche!

    We are buy and hold investors who invest in class A properties self-managing from a distance while working full time. So we do work on furthering our careers. We live very frugally allowing us to live off of one income and save the other. We have further our career and used the W2 income to leverage our real estate portfolio. So there so many ways to get your feet wet. Just get a business plan together and starting walking :)

    I highly recommend you also check out- the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. As many of us have created resources around our niche (websites, blogs, etc) so checking out the signature is a great to get more information. Make sure you don't miss out on networking is by filling out your signature, profile and pming people with questions.

  • Wichita, KS · Member since 2013 · 235 posts · 46 votes
    11y

    Welcome to the site @Jennifer Talcott you have come to a great place to start your career in real estate. 

    Being that you are a realtor and your husband has knowledge in contruction and home inspection you all have a leg up in starting out. IMO

  • Brandon, FL · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    I was so focused on our bio's that I forgot to mention we put an offer on our first fix/flip on Wednesday!  (DUH!)  We should get a response on Tue or Wed. 

    I'm totally excited!!!  

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Jennifer Talcott 

    welcome to the site.

  • Architect · West Monroe, LA · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 16 votes
    11y

    Welcome to the BP community @Jennifer Talcott all the best to you & your

    husband on your chosen path.

  • Brandon, FL · Member since 2014 · 55 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    Thanks everybody!  

  • Contractor · Land O' lakes, FL · Member since 2014 · 129 posts · 56 votes
    11y

    @Jennifer Talcott 

    Welcome to the world of RE investing Jennifer!

  • Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2013 · 132 posts · 58 votes
    11y

    Welcome @Jennifer Talcott I'm over in Pinellas.  You should meet @Doug Merriott He hosts a local meetup that many local folks from BiggerPockets attend.  He's very active so he'll give the details soon.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Tierra Verde, FL · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 130 votes
    11y

    Hi @Jennifer Talcott You just missed our most recent meeting, that was Sunday. Hopefully we see you on the 8th of February.

    Tampa REIA is this evening at the Doubletree on Rocky Point. Cocktails at 6:00 and the meeting starts at 7:00.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Spring Hill, FL · Member since 2014 · 234 posts · 132 votes
    11y

    welcome @Jennifer Talcott,  I go to the Tampa reia meetings too...it's awesome to be in a room full of like minded people :) come on out like doug said, I won't be there tonight though :)

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y

    Hi @Jennifer Talcott 

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets.  That's so exciting about your first offer, keep us updated!

    It sounds like you are in a great position to do very well, with you being a realtor and your husband's construction experience; you're a dynamic duo!

    I would 2nd @Elizabeth Colegrove 's recommendation, the podcasts are amazing and a great way to pass time in the car.

    It's a bit of a trek, but this Tampa REI meetup sounds awesome, so I may have to head over to the gulf and hang out with y'all @Amanda Sutherlin @Doug Merriott @Robert Curls .

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP community! @Jennifer Talcott  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. 

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Wishing you the best! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.