Newbie from PDX

10 Replies

Hello everyone! My name is Indasia and I'm 21. I'm interested in getting my feet wet in RE because for as long as I can remember I've always wanted to buy properties, fix them up, then sell them. Interior design, remodeling, and finding solutions to problems are a few of my other interests. I don't have first hand experience with investing in real estate yet. Hopefully I will be able to find someone willing to mentor me here in Portland, Oregon. I'm so happy I found BP. I'm trying to soak up as much info as I possibly can! In the future I would like to buy, flip, and sell or hold property.

Promotion
Contracoin
Bridging between Crypto and Real Estate
Get ready to buy your next property using Crypto
Using crypto to own property, leverage #CTCN in buying your next home and more
Time to buy property

@Indasia Summerfield  

Welcome. Take a moment to fill out your profile.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 100 past ones to catch up on.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good luck

Paul

Good luck @Indasia Summerfield  !  

If you haven't already, I would start listening to all of the podcasts you can from BP.  From there, listen (especially at the end of each one) to which books people talk about as their favorites with respect to real estate investing/business/etc.  So far, i've found value in Rich Dad Poor Dad and 106 Mortgage Secrets All Borrowers Must Learn - But Lenders Don't Tell.  Listen/read from Dave Ramsey.  Check out Multnomah County Libraries.  You can get use of these books, ebooks, etc for free!  Free to register at the library too - of course.  

You need to find a real estate broker/agent whom people trust and you can too.  They will be the absolute primary resource to guiding you with lenders, contractors, property management, local updates, best rental areas, best appreciation areas.  

Whenever you look at a property, you can get quick information by having some of these websites up at the same time:  rentometer (local rent rates), zillow (general rents, home values, local school ratings, tax history, pictures, maps), www.portlandmaps.com (permits/cases, tax history, owner information, all documented property details by Multnomah county, detailed crime rates, and tons more), rmls (basic property info), realtor.com (usually includes past rental income information), and tons more i'm sure.  

@Indasia Summerfield  Welcome to BP, you'll find this a great forum for any question you may have regarding real estate. I would also suggest that you join one or both of the following real estate investors groups listed below.

Both have great people who are very willing to share their experience with newer investors.

@Indasia Summerfield

Welcome to the community! BP has a tremendous amount of information to help you, but it is only available if you seek it out. Be sure to be as active and engaging as possible. Read blogs, post questions, and the podcasts are gold! The best free education you can get.

@Indasia Summerfield

Welcome to BP! I'm also a new investor (soon to be agent) in the PDX area. I'd love to bounce idea's off each other if you're interested. A great suggestion is definitely to listen to as many or all of the podcasts as you can, they are invaluable. I'm still working on them and read as many books as you can. I was trying to dig deeper into some legitimate economic news sources regarding real estate which I thought would help me broaden my understanding of the RE economy. You might try browsing the PDX monthly RE section and the economist for some insight there.

Good luck to you!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you