Newbie from Houston, TX looking to start in REI

Newbie from Houston, TX looking to start in REI

Renter · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 3 votes

Howdy everyone, my name is Juan Carlos, a recent grad from Texas A&M and now living in Houston, TX. I moved out here for a job in technology consulting and am currently renting an apartment in the Washington/Heights area.

I have been following BiggerPockets for about 6 months now, reading many articles and listening to the podcast and have finally decided to get involved in the forums.

I am a newbie to real estate investing as I have not yet had any deals apart from being a renter but am looking to purchase a property before August ends and be able to move out of my apartment and, ideally, house-hack my property for a year or two. I am deciding between a multi-family property (duplex or fourplex) or a town house, occupying a room and renting the rest. The reason I have not decided is because I am not very well-versed in Houston's market for these types of properties, but I guess that is why I am here :)

Anyways, just wanted to reach out and say hello and looking forward to being involved in BP's community!

2Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
11y

@Juan Carlos Valdes

Welcome.  Take a good look at student housing see below.

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers).

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 114 votes
    11y

    Hi @ Juan Carlos Valdes!

    Wishing you all the best on your real estate venture!

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Juan Carlos Valdes

    Welcome.  Take a good look at student housing see below.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers).

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Welcome Carlos, you will find that Houston has a lot of great clubs and places to network.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 471 posts · 267 votes
    11y

    Welcome I graduated from Texas A&M now and started investing this year in the Houston area. The deals are there. Just start looking and networking. Once something interest you then bring the deal to BP for any advice/help.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    11y
    Welcome! It's good to see another newbie from Texas! I'm looking into multi-family units here in San Antonio so I wonder how different our markets are? As we both learn more we should keep in touch and try to help each other out!
  • Investor · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Welcome Juan Carlos!

    From one Aggie to another, I wish you all the best.  I applaud you for starting your RE education early after graduation.  BP is an amazing resource with lots of valuable information.  I am late to RE but the advice I see and receive over and over is - Educate yourself and then set a defined target to TAKE ACTION.  

    There is a monthly BP Meetup each month in Houston that @Charles Nguyen and @Brian Nguyen organize.  Highly recommend - I attended my first last month and it was a great way to meet other investors in the Houston area.  

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/191...

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP community @Juan Carlos Valdes It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. 

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Juan Carlos Valdes welcome to the site! It's great to have you!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 108 posts · 30 votes
    11y

    @Juan Carlos Valdes - Welcome to Houston and the Bigger Pockets community! BP has been a great resource for me to continue learning and meeting others in the investment property world!

  • Renter · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Thanks everyone for your kind words! @Account Closed I will definitely keep in touch and we can learn off each other! I have many friends and family in San Antonio and may actually one day end up moving out there so it would be great to start building relationships. Best of luck!

    @Bruce H. Glad several Aggies are on here and thanks for the info on the monthly meetings! I will make sure to attend the next one and looking forward to meeting everyone out there.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.