New Member from Peoria IL

10 Replies

Hello

I am new to this site, however not new to real estate (18 years and counting).  I currently own, manage, some real estate as well run a note brokerage firm (we purchase mortgages, contract for deeds and other types of notes both performing and non-performing).  

I Look forward to sharing my experiences as well as learning from others. For example here is a tip I learned from a experienced landlord as I was just getting into rentals.  When interviewing a perspective tenant do a home inspection and check the inside of their fridge (most perspective tenants who know you are doing a home inspection will clean the place up, however will not to think of cleaning their fridge).  If their fridge is clean and no mold is growing, you will have a tenant that will usually pay on time and not tear your place up. :) 

Originally posted by @Mark Hutchins :

Hello

I am new to this site, however not new to real estate (18 years and counting).  I currently own, manage, some real estate as well run a note brokerage firm (we purchase mortgages, contract for deeds and other types of notes both performing and non-performing).  

I Look forward to sharing my experiences as well as learning from others. For example here is a tip I learned from a experienced landlord as I was just getting into rentals.  When interviewing a perspective tenant do a home inspection and check the inside of their fridge (most perspective tenants who know you are doing a home inspection will clean the place up, however will not to think of cleaning their fridge).  If their fridge is clean and no mold is growing, you will have a tenant that will usually pay on time and not tear your place up. :) 

Welcome to BP Mark. Thank you for sharing your tip on interviewing prospective tenants. I hope no one ever looks in my fridge. Glad they didn't look in my refridge to qualify me when buying my current residence or rentals. I would have never qualified....lol

Hi @Mark Hutchins

Welcome to Biggerpockets. Great to have you here. You can start by going to Learn. You can find a lot of strategies that can go with your experience. Good luck in your REI journey!

Hi Mark,

Welcome!  Glad you found the site!  I also invest in the Peoria, Illinois area, although my focus so far has only been in buy and hold rentals.  I'd love to connect and see if there's any way we can help each other out.  Feel free to send me a message.

Hey Mark,

I know you! lol Are you and Karen part of the Peoria Area Real Estate Investor's group? They meet once a month. Our next meeting is on September 24 at 7:00 p.m., and I believe it will be at Gracie's in Washington. I think they're bringing in a CPA to talk about tax-saving REI opportunities this time, but they have different topics or events each month.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you