Newbie Houston Texas

9 Replies

Hello everyone!!!!!  I am Marsha Chan-Thomas and I am very excited to be a part of BP!  I am new to real estate investing and I am located in Houston, TX.  I have no past real estate investing experience, but I have been educating myself through the Fortune Builders Mastery program.  I have worked in sales, marketing, and customer service and I have always wanted to get into the real estate business, so I finally made the leap three months ago.  At this time I am interested in rehabbing, wholesaling, and networking with other RE professionals to learn the business.  My immediate goal is to do this business full time and retire my job, and in the longer term to build up some capital and invest in some rentals for passive income.  I am now trying to build my team and find my first deal, and would appreciate any guidance for my success.  Capital for investing is my main area of concern as well as the keys to learning the market.

Hey Marsha so welcome to BP, you will find a lot of interesting stuff on here to help you through your journey. Me like you am also new to the business, but love your enthusiasm. I have trouble finding people in my inner circle or just people I know that have a passion about real estate investing like I do. Main reason for joining BP, I hear Houston is a really good market for rentals. Wish you the best of luck.

P.S never stop learning! 

@Marsha C.

Welcome. 

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul 

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. I am also new to BP but have already found it to be a wealth of information - which will eventually lead to wealth if you internalize the lessons learned from others.  If you have not checked out the podcasts they are a must listen to - for new or seasoned investors. There are no dumb questions and it is truly amazing how fast people jump in and give you feedback.  You definitely receive far more than you give as a newbie but eventually you will be able to pay it forward in a few years. Good luck and I hope to see you get active on the site.

I started a bandit sign campaign yesterday but I haven't gotten any calls as yet. I checked on them today and 8 signs were already taken down! I thought the bandit police did not work on weekends? There were still quite a few up. I am staying positive that I may get some calls soon!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you