Australian-Canadian Investor Looking to Connect with other Aussies!

11 Replies

New to BP! Have some investing experience but plenty to learn.  Looking to start to build some connections in the Australian market and also eventually grow my network overseas.  I have a small, but varied portfolio of real estate investments spread between Latin America, Australia and Canada.  I tried the postal code network search tool but it landed me in Florida, USA.  So...to help kick start open discussions on all things real estate for Aussie based members (or for those interested in the Aussie market - given that I have on the ground experience) - feel free to reply to this thread or drop me a line.

Hi @Chad Ziegler ! Although I live in California, I've been interested in the Australian market for a while now. Would love to connect with you to discuss your local economy and real estate market. What kinds of properties have you been investing in so far?

Hello Chad, 
Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Currently I live in Brisbane Queensland. However I did live in Western Australia for 5 years. ( 1 IN Kalgoorlie, 4 in Perth, ) So I am familiar with Perth. Happy to connect. I have sent a PM
Cheers Peter 

Originally posted by @Chad Ziegler :

New to BP! Have some investing experience but plenty to learn.  Looking to start to build some connections in the Australian market and also eventually grow my network overseas.  I have a small, but varied portfolio of real estate investments spread between Latin America, Australia and Canada.  I tried the postal code network search tool but it landed me in Florida, USA.  So...to help kick start open discussions on all things real estate for Aussie based members (or for those interested in the Aussie market - given that I have on the ground experience) - feel free to reply to this thread or drop me a line.

Welcome to BP mate,

This is the place where your mind gets flooded with ideas haha

If only more foreign investors knew about this forum before they invested here.

Would've been much less heartache going around.

Thanks

Originally posted by @Kelly O'Quinn :

Hi @Chad Ziegler! Although I live in California, I've been interested in the Australian market for a while now. Would love to connect with you to discuss your local economy and real estate market. What kinds of properties have you been investing in so far?

 Hello @Kelly O'Quinn! Nice to receive your msg. The Aussie market is a bit of interesting mix at the moment.  Perth is now in full transition from a long running strong growth market to (driven by a ~12 year resource commodity boom) to now being the only capital city in Australia seeing a negative slide in the median house prices. Sydney is on fire (23% this year), median house price (excluding apt.'s) now $1M.  All talk is about a mostly Chinese investor driven property bubble.  Melbourne is a mixed bag from what I have been told of late. Strong growth overall but oversupply of new condo's in certain key areas while supposedly still opportunities with housing in other areas.  Brisbane is reporting good growth with maybe some legs left in the right areas.  The secondary markets outside of Brisbane (in Queensland state) and Victoria state are probably the most promising from what I have learned.  Overall the Oz economy has slowed significantly (mostly due to the oil and mining slowdown) but relatively low interest rates (nothing as low as US or CDN) are driving those investors that can, to invest (plus our currency is now much cheaper than just 1 - 1.5 yr ago). 

I have a rental in Perth and an owner occupied house here. I have other overseas real estate holdings or investments but nothing else in Australia.  I was looking at a development investment in a mining town in Western Australia (WA) (structured and managed by a 3rd pty) but held off last year as job security was somewhat uncertain and had a little one (now arrived) on the way.  The dust has settled a bit now so I am back looking again (although the job market is no better).  I missed the boat on the WA one but looking and learning about other potential opportunities.  More interested in other states now anyways.

Hopefully that gives you a flavour for the Australian market.  I am no expert but I've been recently asking questions of those who are experienced/prof. and I'm willing to share what I learn.  I can also maybe point you to those who do know if I don't.  

@Chad Ziegler Mate! Welcome to BP! This is the place to be for learning about real estate investing.

We (my wife and I) are both Australians and have been living in California for two and a half years now. We have owned rentals in Australia for 10+ years and have recently started purchasing here in the US. I'm from NSW and have been scared off from investing in Australia at least until there's slowing or correction in the market. It's insanity.

That said, the Cali market isn't much better. This is why we have concentrated on buy and hold in the mid-west. Reach out if we can help and good luck with your investing.

Originally posted by @Peter O'Donnell :

Hello Chad, 
Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Currently I live in Brisbane Queensland. However I did live in Western Australia for 5 years. ( 1 IN Kalgoorlie, 4 in Perth, ) So I am familiar with Perth. Happy to connect. I have sent a PM
Cheers Peter 

 Nice to meet you @Peter O'Donnell

 My Aussie partner spent a year or two in Kalgoorlie in her youth.  I would be interested to learn more about the Brisbane market - particularly any nearby secondary markets that may have some additional upside.  

Brisbane is quite a nice place I found - although you must admit the weather in Perth is hard to beat. :)

Perth is hands down a marvellous city. A fantastic lifestyle. ( And the winter winds are gruesomely cold Although it is a brief winter. ) The rest of the world, is just a bit far from Perth. 

I hold properties in Brisbane QLD and Cairns QLD. Both have great weather and no problem ever renting my properties.

I now have expanded and hold in Cleveland OH. Entry point into OH was much less than overall Australia.

Hi @Chad Zieglar.  I'm Sydney based, and just starting out on the investing journey.  The US market currently looks more appealing to me with lower prices than here at home.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

  • Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you