Young Novice in Humboldt County, California

Young Novice in Humboldt County, California

Mckinleyville, CA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 0 votes

Hey everybody, I'm happy to have found and joined this community! 

Im 20 I  moved here last March from New Hampshire, hoping to get involved in the green rush. Things are awesome up here, living right on the coast here in Humboldt is like being on permanent vacation. It's going to suck when i have to leave to go to where their is investment oppurtinity.

I read rich dad poor dad when I was like 13, along with how to win friends and influence people, and think and grow rich. This made me very confident of my future success, but made me lose interest in school as their was no way I was go to sign up for 4 more years of such boredom! I became very disenfranchised with my families and schools expectations of me, got In some trouble and got myself kicked out of my parents home. So I dropped out, and while working a Minimum wage gig I discovered bitcoin and tried making a business out of selling them for a markup. The business didn't last long for fear of aml regulations but I did profit a fair amount from their appreciation. With that I was able to move myself out to the emerald triangle and I've been loving life everyday since! 

I discovered bigger pockets about a week ago through the podcast, it was recommended to me by stitcher. I've been grinding through them since. I loved the episodes "dirt cheap land flipping" and mobile home flipping, quite motivating to see that the barrier of entry is much lower than people think to get started in this game. 

I want to get started in the game with a grow house in the central valley, it looks to me like siskiyou and Tulare county have the laxist cultivation laws.  Due to my line of work I have my hands tied as far as getting a loan, so I'm trying to save up and get something crappy for cash, and my cousin back home is currently soliciting some rei's close to the family for some help to get started. If those efforts fail I'm considering moving to the bay or somewhere with actual economic activity (Humboldt is very remote and undeveloped), and do as one podcast guest suggested doing to get started in the biz; and work for a property management company. Either that or become an re agent for investors. I'm very interested in developing sales and people skills, so the job appeals to me alot. Random side note, The Art of Charm is a fantastic podcast based around "being the best person you can be, in every area of your life". Its given me great tools and confidence to further those people skills :)

I hit my head last night and got a concussion, so I forget what Josh's post Said to address and not in these intro's.. and I'm in mobile so I don't care to check again.. but I hope I covered everything and didn't go overboard with the life story!  

0Reply
19 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 732 posts · 490 votes
    11y
    Wow. What a journey. My brother in law spent many a year in Humbolt. Spending time there is like stepping back to a different era. If your in Humbolt I'd start scouring the west coast for cheap vans on Craigslist. It's the most robust market in the country. It won't make you rich but it'd make a profitable hobby there. Best of luck on your real estate journey.
  • Mckinleyville, CA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Ya it's definitely a special place. It will be hard to leave. That's an interesting idea with the vans, automobiles and their repair have always intimidated me, I ought to pick up the knowledge though.

    I knew I enemas for getting something, and that was my goals. 

    I hope to one day be a guest on bigger pockets podcast! I want to become financially independent and encourage others to do so. I'd like to become financially independent so I can do lifestyle, political commentaty and social activism videos via youtube to further the humanist agenda.

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Mike Hallahan

    BP is full of useful resources such as forums and blogs. Welcome to the Bigger Pockets community-be sure to check out all the awesome BP blogs under “Learn.”

  • Wholesaler · Mckinleyville, CA · Member since 2015 · 192 posts · 69 votes
    11y

    Hi Mike and welcome to BiggerPockets. There is a wealth of information here, enough to keep you learning for quite some time! I'm a local wholesaler here in Mckinleyville, and I'm glad you like it here so much. Please keep in mind that even though it may be medically acceptable here in CA, marihuana is still federally illegal and probably should not be discussed here in a REI forum. If there's any way I can help you while you get started, please let me know.

  • Investor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    @Mike Hallahan

    Hey Mike welcome to the community on Bigger Pockets! It's cool to see another young guy like myself who is interested in the field. You mentioned how Humboldt is pretty rural and undeveloped, have you ever considered investing in land? Flipping land can be just as profitable as housing without the unwanted stress of tenants, time-frame's, and budget. Good luck with your goals! 

  • Mckinleyville, CA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kyle Tokasey:

    @Mike Hallahan

    Hey Mike welcome to the community on Bigger Pockets! It's cool to see another young guy like myself who is interested in the field. You mentioned how Humboldt is pretty rural and undeveloped, have you ever considered investing in land? Flipping land can be just as profitable as housing without the unwanted stress of tenants, time-frame's, and budget. Good luck with your goals! 

     Yep! The podcast episode "dirt cheap land flipping" really got the wheels turning for me. All of the rural land here in the county seems quite overvalued, ostensibly because of the pot growers that fill the hills. Potentially a lot of upside if I find someone in distress I'm thinking. I need to get an sfr asap though. 

  • Mckinleyville, CA · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Hi Mike and welcome to BiggerPockets. There is a wealth of information here, enough to keep you learning for quite some time! I'm a local wholesaler here in 

    Mckinleyville, and I'm glad you like it here so much. Please keep in mind that even though it may be medically acceptable here in CA, marihuana is still federally illegal and probably should not be discussed here in a REI forum. If there's any way I can help you while you get started, please let me know.

     Thanks for the welcome! Yes I understand that others doing business knowingly with a marijuana business could be found complicit in money laundering, or w/e. however I'd rather be open about it then not disclose that to potential associates. I stay within county, state and federal tax laws so I feel comfortable on my end. Now if site administrators are not ok with it I understand and will act accordingly.

  • Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 779 votes
    11y

    @Mike Hallahan Hopefully the owners/mods here at BP will let the discussion continue, the green market has had and continues to have huge impacts in many local markets.  In some of the areas that I invest in, they have a major impact on the price of much of the areas real estate.  And property values can swing quickly if a certain County decides to make their cultivation laws more or less liberal.

    Personally I am planning on divesting of many of my acreage properties over the next couple years, as marijuana goes more and more legal, and as CA looks to tax it, it seems likely  personal back yard type grows will shrink over the next few years, which will have a major impact on certain types of properties near here.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.