Newbie from Rockwall Texas

11 Replies

Hi, my name is Joel Sanders.  I joined BP a few months ago but I just now got around to posting here.  I've been listening to the BP podcast during my commute to work and have made it though show 88.  I think in one of the podcasts they mentioned you should come introduce yourself (or did they mention it in all but one?  I forget.) so here I am.

Listening to all the great strategies that people are using in the podcasts makes me change how I think I want to invest on a weekly basis.  My general idea is to be a buy and hold investor and use some other strategy (like flipping) to generate the capital to buy the properties to hold.

I'm currently working on saving enough capital to have a 20% down payment + capital expenses so I can purchase my first property.  The BP podcast has really helped me save because instead of playing the drinking game when Josh Dorkin or Brandon Turner say "awesome" or "cool" I stick a dollar in my savings fund.  I almost have enough money to buy a private island now but I guess I'll go ahead and stick with the real estate investing idea.

From what I've hear BP seems to be a great community and I look forward to contributing.  Thanks!

Joel

Should I start out by saying "awesome"? Welcome to the BP community Joel. My name is Casimiro, and my story is identical to yours. I wish you well and much success! 

@Joel S.

Welcome. 

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul 

@Casimiro Yulfo  

Thanks for the Welcome.  Hopefully we'll both end up in the same successful place!

@Brandon Turner

Thanks for taking the time to welcome me Brandon.  I did know about the keyword alerts but didn't know about the mentions.  I finished podcast 89 today so I think I'm more than a year behind so who knows what kinds of crazy things you guys have now.  I did get to hear someone call @Joshua Dorkin a wanker so they made my commute more enjoyable! lol

@Marlon Wilson

Thanks Marlon!

@Paul Timmins

Thanks for the Tips Paul! I have listed to 2 podcasts with J. Scott and am looking forward to reading the book.  I have at least 30 minutes to kill each night while rocking my little one to sleep and that sounds like a great way to spend it.

Welcome @Joel S. to the Bigger Pockets community.

There are several BP MeetUp groups in the area. One group that has started meeting monthly in Richardson can be found if you search the site for "Richardson / North Dallas Meetup." 

Another local REIA is the North Texas Association of Real Estate Investors (www.ntarei.com). They have monthly general meetings where you can meet a lot of investors and vendors. The group also does other training sessions throughout the month.

Hope to meet you at one of these groups!

"The BP podcast has really helped me save because instead of playing the drinking game when Josh Dorkin or Brandon Turner say "awesome" or "cool" I stick a dollar in my savings fund. I almost have enough money to buy a private island now but I guess I'll go ahead and stick with the real estate investing idea."

A can't miss strategy!

Welcome aboard, Joel.  

Originally posted by @Mark Nolan :

@Joel S.

Welcome to Bigger Pockets community. Be sure to check out “Learn” for all kinds of useful resources and free how to guides.

Thanks Mark!  I was looking at the deal analysis post under the "Learn" area.  Looks like there is some great information there.

Originally posted by @Scott Beck :

Welcome @Joel S. to the Bigger Pockets community.

There are several BP MeetUp groups in the area. One group that has started meeting monthly in Richardson can be found if you search the site for "Richardson / North Dallas Meetup." 

Another local REIA is the North Texas Association of Real Estate Investors (www.ntarei.com). They have monthly general meetings where you can meet a lot of investors and vendors. The group also does other training sessions throughout the month.

Hope to meet you at one of these groups!

Thanks Scott.  I just signed up for the NTAREI mailing list.  I'll keep my eye out for any local meetups.

Originally posted by @Jon Klaus :

"The BP podcast has really helped me save because instead of playing the drinking game when Josh Dorkin or Brandon Turner say "awesome" or "cool" I stick a dollar in my savings fund. I almost have enough money to buy a private island now but I guess I'll go ahead and stick with the real estate investing idea."

A can't miss strategy!

Welcome aboard, Joel.  

Thanks Jon.  I was trying to entice either Josh or Brandon to comment and Brandon popped it.  I was a bit surprised honestly.  Took a look at your profile and I was thinking it sure did sound familiar.  Then I saw you were on one of the previous podcasts.  I think I had looked up your office in the the past because I drive right by there on my way to/from work.  I'll give it another listen and see if I have any questions for you if you don't mind.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you