Gobsmacked landlord. I'm sure this'll be funny one day. . .

7 Replies

I stumbled into land lording with a duplex I bought right before getting laid off in 2009.  After a rocky couple of years, I finally had my SF Bay Area Victorian property cash flowing and my tenant screenings down pat.  So I thought.

The most recent move-out was expected to be a slam dunk.  Completely trouble-free 2.5 year tenancy.  The departing tenant is a University professor (meaning PhD educated. . .) who always paid his rent on time, owns his own place in SoCal, genuinely nice guy and was super well qualified as a tenant.  Dream scenario, right?

Well, the warning bell should’ve gone off when I saw a shop-vac in his living room.  You guessed it, his house cleaning method was to dump water onto the floors and then vacuum it up with the shop-vac!  For 2.5 years.

Yep, that would be the brand new laminate flooring in the bedroom, the brand new carpet in the living room, the vinyl tiles I stuck directly onto the new subflooring in the kitchen.  They weren't waterproof.  Ouch.

So, clearly Home Ec 101 isn't part of that PhD program. . .

Note to self: a new lease addendum spelling out how one should clean floors. . .

Wow.  Im not sure what else to say. 

Sometimes educated and smart are not the same thing. 

Good luck on the repair costs. I hope it works out without being too painful

Lol, oh geez! Thanks for the share, it was definitely an entertaining read and I am certain you will laugh at it one day. As much as the bad (a.k.a. expensive) things suck as property owners, they do make for some great stories later on over some brewskies (or 5). 

I'm telling you though, it's that 'too smart for your own good thing'. I have a cousin that is post-Ph.D in a ridiculously smart field and I swear he can't get from point A to point B. Common sense flies out the window when you get too smart! Gotta love Mr. Professor guy. :)

Oof, I can sympathize with that! One of the worst guests in any of our apartments was a PhD, VP with a big bank, all kinds of bigwig. The things I had to spell out for that guy - and I mean literally spell out, in English - it was just absolutely mindblowing. I have never met a more educated absolute idiot.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you