Newbie from Scarborough, Canada

6 Replies

Hello,

I'm a newbie investor from Scarborough, Ontario, Canada. I'd like to know more about the proper way of investing in real estate and I'm open to new ideas. I had bought and sold 4 properties (one in the US) making a tidy profit in the past 25 years and recently I'd like to get into it full time. I'd like to do assignments/same-day closings/ flip deals in both countries, but I would like to concentrate more in the US.  Through various sources, I could find unique properties for investing (non-retail market value/in need of repairs/pre- and post foreclosures, etc.).  

I'm a retired system engineer and I had designed and setup systems in Ontario, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Pleasanton and North Carolina.   I had been an accountant and auditor prior to that. In the past six years I had written three spy thriller novels and most recently, I was commissioned by a Chinese school based in Toronto/Beijing/Shanghai to write a book for use by Mainland Chinese university-level students on their way to learn the English language.

It's time to find new cheese, which brought me to a new venture in real estate investing. I was surfing the net for real estate investing and somehow brought me here at BiggerPockets. I'd like to correspond with new friends and investors that could show me a few ideas to be a successful investor.  Thank you so much.

Alex Brillantes

Welcome to BP Alex, we're all happy to help you in any way we can. Sounds like you have had some great experiences in your lifetime as of this time. I live in NC and have one house beside my homestead of 13.6 acres. I'm fairly new to real estate myself but am always happy to greet our newbies. There are many people on here, that will help you with any questions you need answering. Again Alex welcome to BP

Originally posted by @Deborah Townsend :

Welcome to BP Alex, we're all happy to help you in any way we can. Sounds like you have had some great experiences in your lifetime as of this time. I live in NC and have one house beside my homestead of 13.6 acres. I'm fairly new to real estate myself but am always happy to greet our newbies. There are many people on here, that will help you with any questions you need answering. Again Alex welcome to BP

Hi Deborah,

Thank you so much for your warm welcome. Yes, I've done a few things during my career and it's been a great ride so far and now, I'd like to do some real estate. I have very little real estate experience other than the properties I'd mentioned.  

I had done some system engineering work at the Public Service Company of NC at Gastonia. I commuted from Shelby where I rented an apartment. It was a lot of fun, made a lot of acquaintances with the folks at PSNC; great bunch of people.

Thanks again and I'm sure I would have a lot questions that I could pass your way. 

Btw, sorry for the delay in replying. I volunteer as bandleader for our church and our Sundays are usually quite busy.

with kind regards,

Alex

[email protected]

abrill.com

Originally posted by @Mark Nolan :

@Alex Brillantes

Welcome to Bigger Pockets. It is a good place to connect with real estate professionals and to learn about real estate. For example, you set up key word alerts. http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the tip on 'alerts' and to connect with professionals. There is so much to learn and I'll try to get soaked on this real estate culture in a steady pace in the shortest possible time.  I'll keep your contact info as I know I would need your help in the future. 

with kind regards,

Alex 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you