New member from Long Island.

8 Replies

I am a veterinarian on Long Island and have been in practice about 20 years. I'd like to use real estate investment as a way to supplement my retirement and college education for my kids. Due to the high cost of real estate on Long Island, I will likely look in other area of the country, and use a real estate management company to manage the property  

Hi Michael, welcome. I'm also in LI and invest out of area (upstate currently). I have done a lot of research and a number of mid west cities seem to winners, Indy, St Louis, Memphis, Colimbus. There are many turn key operators out there, just do your homework on them first.

Good Luck

Welcome to BP Michael.  Its all about the research man, I have been down this road and have been able to succeed because of the time and effort I put into it before I pulled any triggers.  Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Hey Michael! Oh man, sure wish you were out here in LA... I currently have 3 geriatric pets that I'm constantly at the vet's office for! :)

Same thing for me out here in LA, price-wise, so I buy in other parts of the country as well and use property managers.

I'll second @Barry Cohen 's comment about St. Louis, of course I'm a bit biased about my city versus others in the Midwest so I'll leave it there.

@Michael Ferber -- Welcome to BP! You'll find a lot of resources for pursuing real estate in that capacity here. If you decide to look into the St. Louis area feel free to contact me if you want any advice or help.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you