New Member from Minot, ND

6 Replies

Hello! I've been lurking around the BP forums for a bit and I've learned a lot so far! I'm a 31 year old veteran. I bought my first property when I was 25 using a VA loan. Shortly after closing I received orders to move overseas so I became an accidental landlord. I used my second VA loan to purchase a second home in Minot, ND because of a new military assignment. Now I work in the oil field and while my income is great, I work really long hours 6 days a week! I want to ditch my day job in 10 years or less so I can spend more time with my family.

Since I spent nearly 10 years in the military, I feel more inclined into investing for cash flow near military bases because I think I know that market very well. Military personnel are very easy to track and are strongly encouraged to maintain things in good condition. I am looking forward to interacting with you guys. Thank you for reading!

@Irwin Ayala

Welcome to BiggerPockets. I hope that our site can help you with all of your real estate investing goals - we've got a ton of real estate investing resources here!

Feel free to reach out to me with any and all questions you might have about BiggerPockets, investing, or using our platform!

@Irwin Ayala

Hi there, I’m new to the BiggerPockets community and I’m born and raised in Minot, ND. The military presence here is something that I’ve known for my entire life and I’m very interested in becoming and investor in the area. I noticed this post was from a few years ago. I work as an electrician in the oil field right now. I’m kinda in same situation, I like the money but I definitely want to have more time with my family and friends. I have one rental house that kinda accidental happened and I’m kinda hooked. How have things been going for you so far?

@Irwin Ayala

Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

This is a great place to learn and network. A lot of forum members are very knowledgeable in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate sales, wholesaling, flipping, rentals, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

Discounts on some products and services are offered to BP members: https://www.biggerpockets.com/perks/pro

If you haven’t been to it already, you might want to check out the BP blog: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/

The site has quite a few tools that can be helpful for new members. I like the search features: https://www.biggerpockets.com/search

@Cole VerBruggen

Hello! we are just getting our foot in the door in the real estate game. We have been trying to find other locals who would like to meet up and discuss their successes failures and just share knowledge with each other! I know there used to be real estate meet up group in Minot but i dont think it exists anymore.

Hey Cole and Donald,

I’m also from Minot(live in Stanley now and also work in the oil field). We currently have 1 rental and are in the process of doing a deal for a 5 unit apartment. 

What are you guys looking to get into?!

Let’s plan a meetup, I’ll make the drive! I love talking real estate with anyone else that might be interested!

Look me up on Facebook and get in touch with me there(Max Murphy). Let’s make it happen!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you