South Florida Investor

9 Replies

Born and raised in Buffalo NY. Growing up I helped my Father manage a small property portfolio.  As a knowable and tangible asset I have always been fond of Real Estate as a financial tool. A desire to escape the cold brought me to South Florida. Since 2011 I have been actively involved in South Florida Real Estate Investing. I currently own a handful of duplex's in the Fort Lauderdale area. I have previously flipped 2 single family homes in Boca Raton. Now that the market is getting close to previous highs, I have found it harder to locate deals that pencil. I am interested in learning new ways to grow my portfolio and creatively source financially sound investments.

Best Regards,

Matt W. 

Hey Matt,

I'm a realtor and investor in the same area as you. I'm finding it a bit harder to locate deals as well. The best route to take is ask a local realtor to put you in our notification system where you will automatically get notified when a deal with your criteria pops up in the location you're looking for. Another way to get deals that are not on the MLS is through here and a network of wholesalers that deal with off market deals to send you an email when they think they have a deal.

Hope this helps

-Jean Taveras

@Matthew Walsh - Welcome to BP! You and @Jean Taveras are right, it's definitely tougher to find deals these days. @Jean Taveras, @Carlos Coppin Jr , and @Account Closed gave some great advice though - get out there and network, especially with wholesalers. Through networking, great deals can come to you. 

I'm a wholesaler (among other things), and I know we get a bad rap sometimes, but if you find the right wholesalers, they can be invaluable additions to your network. Finding good deals takes A LOT of time. My partner, assistant, and I spend over 120 hours a week combined just in our wholesaling side of the business, looking for good deals for investors who just don't' have the time (or desire) to source their own deals....Our buyers prefer to spend their time DOING the deals, rather than sourcing them. They find they are happier because they get to focus on the side of their business they love most, AND they make more money because they can do more deals at once since they aren't having to spend tons of time sourcing all their own deals.

In any case, good luck! Hope to run into you at a local networking event soon!

Matthew Walsh congrats on all of your success! My family and I moved here about 1 year ago to make a new start. We currently live in Fort Lauderdale and interested in buying duplexes for rental investments. Just wondering if you belong to any real estate networking group here in South Florida? Would love to join and network in our area.

Ratha McCleary

Carlos Coppin Jr congrats on your venture in real estate investing. So we moved down here from Philadelphia to South Florida. We can sure use some local knowledge. I'm very interested in obtaining our first investment but not sure where to start. I read that you are in wholesaling and able to find properties for investors. Do you belong to a networking group as well? Would love to connect with a local group here to share and pick everyone's brain since I'm very new at this. Thank you for your time and hope to connect one day soon.

Ratha McCleary

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you