Where to find mentors (Not on BP)

8 Replies

I understand that Bigger Pockets is not the place to request a mentor. Does anyone have any suggestions on where a good place to ask for one would be? I am interested in rehabbing/flipping/wholesaling but have no experience. My best bet is to follow someone who has already had great success who is willing to teach me the ropes.

I don't think BP talks crap about mentors but they do about Guru's. Wait, what, yeah that's right. 

Mentor - Someone you can help in their business to learn how to perform it on your own.

Guru - Someone you pay to teach you how to perform a business on your own.

See it's easy

Thank you all. I was hesitant to post my original post because as soon as I went to post it, I got a message saying "Please make sure you don't use the forum to solicit..etc"

I submitted a post on Craiglist in the RE Services section but I am just not sure that is the right place.  

@Michael Quarles - What do you suggest i search for exactly? "RE Mentors in (my area)" 

Welcome to BiggerPockets @Mary Velazquez

If you are interested in finding Mentors, I recently wrote "The Ultimate Guide to Finding Incredible Mentors" - check it out!

I'm always happy to help point you in the right direction for resources or tools on BiggerPockets that can help you with your REI goals!

Most of your local investor clubs are run by someone who has years of experience in REI. They can be your mentor and they are the people who are actually doing deals all the time!!!
Besides organizing the club meetings, they teach you how to do deals in your local market. They often offer in parenting with you, so you learn like being in a "boot camp"

Read on page 4, "should I pay $30,000...." I just listed who should be your mentors. Most are not just investors, but professionals.

Next, no many mentors can spend their time with you and not get paid in some way.

Gurus don't just ask for money, they rip you off doing it.

Teachers get paid.

You don't learn from peers, a peer knows no more than you do......right? Otherwise they wouldn't be your peer. Learn from experts that are known conventionally as experts, not some proclaimed expert on the internet or in a book ad. They will have knowledge, experience and integrity.  

Also read the blog "How to develop a good BS Meter" that's where you begin. :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you