New member from Southern Maine

8 Replies

Hi everyone, 

I'm a beginner in the real estate market. My wife and I bought our house in 09. She will be done grad school in August. Not sure what step to take next. Buy our second house and then buy the multi family or stay in this house and then buy the multi-family? This house we ideally would like to stay in until we pay off the majority of her loans. 

Welcome to BP, Kirk.

When I was working in Portsmouth, NH, I use to go for an evening cycle up your way (along Shore Rd and #9 mostly).

There are a few other members from the Portland area and further north (Winslow, New Gloucester, Yarmouth) and there was one from Kittery, but I have not seen him here in some time. 

Originally posted by @Lauren Heart :

Welcome to BP Kirk!  What % of your debts does your current house cost...or do you own your primary residence free and clear?

All the best,

Lauren

50% of our debt is the house we live in now. Nice grad school loans huh? Haha 

Originally posted by @Roy N. :

Welcome to BP, Kirk.

When I was working in Portsmouth, NH, I use to go for an evening cycle up your way (along Shore Rd and #9 mostly).

There are a few other members from the Portland area and further north (Winslow, New Gloucester, Yarmouth) and there was one from Kittery, but I have not seen him here in some time. 

Really nice area. I went to high school in wells. 

I've SO been there with the Grad loans! Ugh.  I think you will have to decide with your wife the best plan of attack, and if you can do any of the renovations yourself, that might make the most sense. I'm not as familiar with your market for MF, you will have to run all the numbers. Ultimately you will have to measure those against your financial goals.  Also, make certain zoning still permits that rental, and don't forget to factor in insurance.  Good luck!  Wished I had a little casita to rent out behind me! :)

Welcome to BP Kirk! I am a real estate agent in Southern Maine and I am working with a few investors from BP already. I would love to meet up and see if there is anything I can help you with.

Sean Callahan
Keller Williams Realty

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

Welcome to BP Kirk! I am a real estate agent in Southern Maine and I am working with a few investors from BP already. I would love to meet up and see if there is anything I can help you with.

Sean Callahan
Keller Williams Realty

Thanks Sean! I'm interested to hear your experiences with investing in multi family units. 

Kirk,

I am a Sales Agent for The Universal Properties Team at Keller Williams. In 2015 we did over 200 Real Estate transactions in the state of Maine. I personally have over 25 year of business experience and I am confident my team and I can help you with all of your real estate needs.

Sean

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you