My husband is Active Navy. He will be accepting orders to FL and moving in August. I will remain behind in VA for another year so my daughter can graduate High School. My plan is to move out of our current home early, and get it rented. Once rented, I would like to acquire a duplex in VA to stay in for a year. My questions are:
1. We already have 2 rental properties. When I apply for financing will I be considered an investor, even if I am occupying the duplex?
2. How much will I have to put down for a down payment? I know that investors typically have to put down 25%. If its a Home Path loan, will I qualify for the 3.5% or the 10% for investors.
3. What might the LTV ratios be?
You may not be able to get an FHA or VA mortgage for the duplex but can probably still get a conventional mortgage with 0-5% down payment if you live in one of the units. You will probably need 6 months of reserve funds for all of the properties.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you