Newbie from Yelm, WA

7 Replies

Hey everyone my name is Tyler. I am currently serving active duty in the military as a helicopter crew chief. After deciding that I want to be my own boss and have more free time to spend with my family. As well as traveling and being able to enjoy my hobbies, I realized that real estate investing would be a great fit.

I do not have any experience in real estate besides buying our first home just over a year ago. I plan on using it as a rental in the future. I'm interested in investing in buy and hold single family homes as well as self storage. Currently, I am trying to narrow down my focus to see which will be the better choice for me. 

Thus far Bigger Pockets has been a great tool to use for self education. I enjoy listining to the podcasts and reading the different posts. 

I look forward to getting to know some of you and hopefully getting some more insight and direction in this exciting industry!

Welcome to the BP fam! Since you are planning on using the buy and hold strategy, you should look into utilizing your VA loan to it's maximum threshold if you haven't already. @Elizabeth Colegrove has used the strategy and talks about it in podcast 103.

Also, I'm following an interesting forum post titled, "TSP or Rental Properties?" started by @Chance Cooper. There are some interesting points about diversifying.

Listen to all the BP podcasts, read a whole bunch of forum post and blogs, and read up on real estate books. Good luck on your REI journey!

Welcome Tyler! 

Smart move looking into Self-Storage! 

If you want to learn more, you can look at several of my posts, as that's ALL that I do, and we're pretty good at it. 

Keep Self-Storage as a keyword in BP and you'll get looped into any/all discussions on the topic. 

Talk soon, 

@Eric M. Thanks for the advice! I have used a portion of my VA. on my current residence and plan on using the rest to purchase another property. I'll check out podcast 103 as well. I just read the TSP thread, I didn't realize I could borrow a portion of that money for real estate. thanks again!

@Scott Meyers Thank you for all of the information that you have put out on here as well as your site and you tube.  I have learned a lot about self storage the past couple of months from  these resources! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you