31 yr old Newbie in Houston, Texas

9 Replies

Hello everybody. Well I've been looking at getting into real estate lately to reach my long term goals. I stumbled upon the podcasts, and have started at number 1 and working my way down the list. Since my brother and his wife have started renting their first house they own.

Well my background, I've had multiple jobs and am still looking for what I want to do in life. Right now I am a turbine mechanic assistant. I travel between Texas and Louisiana working at power plants living on the road. We work anywhere from 8 hours a day to 12 hour days. And then we have a dead seasons where we could be off for a couple of months straight. So that's why I would like to get into the rental aspect of investing. I would have to have a management company do everything for me since I travel so much and am gone for months on end.

My goals are to buy my first single family house this year and get it up on the market so I can start having a steady positive income of money to put away. Like rich dad poor dad says to put back into the house and have it stay there. So it's self sustaining on its own income. I would like to work up from that point. Having multiple single family houses and even a multi family plex 3 or 4. So I could have one of the units to live in when I'm not out on the road.

I thank y'all in advance for all the help guidance, and knowledge that I will get from everybody here.

Austin Smith

Welcome to BP, @Austin Smith ! I'm new to this also, living in Louisiana and traveling to Houston a lot. 

The podcasts are awesome, as you have found. Check out the guides and search for interesting stuff in the forums. LOTS of knowledge shared there.

Austin,  your plan is solid.  No time like the present to get started.  What steps have you taken so far?   I suggest getting preapproved through an investor friendly lender.  Next identify the area you are interested in investing.  Then its time to find the deal. 

To your success!

Rich

Hello @Austin Smith

Glad you made it to BP and it sounds like you have a wealth of life knowledge with the multiple jobs that you have done thus far in your life. I think that the job experience that you talked about will give you a leg up on a lot of competition because you are able to apply the knowledge you have to house rentals and relating to the tenants you'll be screening, or at least give great insight to the property management company when they come to you with a perspective tenant for the property you buy this year.

You are still crazy young and have some time to figure out what you are going to settle in for work for the long haul. Real estate might just be that pure passion and joy you are looking for in a career/life. Good luck and reach out to local people in your area and I know they would be willing to help, and maybe even mentor you on your journey.

Good Luck! 

Originally posted by @Rich Nickel :

Austin,  your plan is solid.  No time like the present to get started.  What steps have you taken so far?   I suggest getting preapproved through an investor friendly lender.  Next identify the area you are interested in investing.  Then its time to find the deal. 

To your success!

Rich

@Rich Nickel, I've started from podcast one and working my way to the present slowly but surely. I have not started the lending process yet. That's my next goal to get checked off. I just don't know what is the best way to go about doing that. Or what form of lending will help me acquire the best loan to achieve my goals. I am thinking of a little town called kerrville near Shriners University. I've been surfing the online posted ads for houses but that's about it. 

Austin

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you