Marketing campaign or agent for 1031 exchange?

14 Replies

Hi everyone,    I am very excited to be here.  I have wanted to try real estate investing for awhile, and I have decided the time is now to get out there and make things happen.  I have one rental property that I am going to sell and use the proceeds to invest in a small multifamily apartment building in Colorado.  

Should I use a real estate agent or a marketing campaign to find the other half of my 1031 exchange?

Hi Sharon, There are several options available. I am a realtor and would advise the assistance to help with your purchase either way you do it. There are several properties that are discussed in private at some of the local Real Estate investor groups and some great properties on the MLS also. If you would like to have a conversation about your options, I would be more than happy to discuss some of the options out there.

Kevin Grinstead

@Sharon Owens the tight time lines of the 1031 make a direct mail marketing campaign tough to pull off unless you start well before your actual sale.  But that being said I'd use every avenue available to you so you can get the perfect replacement

I could be wrong but I think a 1031 requires a 45-day window to sell and buy a new one.  @Dave Foster... Point about tight time lines... I also have a client that may benefit from a 1031 ... any one have some experience in this quick turn around

@Nate Wightman , the time lines can be tricky.  @Mark Creason nails them above.  The issues you'll face will not have anything to do with the documentation or preparation of the 1031.  The difficulty (but fortunately the one you as the broker or investor have control over) is the location of the new property.  

Although you have only 45 days after the sale to create your list of potential replacements there is nothing that prevents you from starting your search for replacements before the sale.  In fact the only thing that can't overlap are the actual closings.  So if your client happens to find the perfect replacement property before the sale consummates they can go into contract as long the sale is closed before the purchase of the new.  We have often done simultaneous same table closings even where the sale is closed and a new pen is used to then sign the documents on the purchase.  

So it's the search that's key. One other possibility for you to maybe put in your back pocket is a fractional syndicated opportunity like a TIC or DST that could be used as a back up. There are also turnkey rental providers that are now carrying large inventories of similar type and priced rentals that might be good replacement options as well.

Hi Kevin,

I welcome the discussion. I have looked on the MLS, but I once told by a guru that those are not the best deals. I'm not sure why he said that. Besides marketing and an agent what other options are out?

@Sharon Owens what you are suggesting is exactly what I did. I actually ended up buying three properties from that campaign. 2 with hard money and 1 with 1031 funds. The campaign wasn't cheap either. I spent about $9,000 before and during the 45 days to find the properties I bought. In each case I purchased well below market value. One property appraised at more than $100k above what I paid for it. That was with the WAY below market rents.

Hi Dave,

I never heard of the TIC or the DST. I looked them both up, and I would consider the TIC (Tenants in Common), because it I believe I have a clear understanding. However the DST (Deferred Sales Trust) is bit confusing. Thanks for the back up ideas.

Originally posted by @Sharon Owens :

Hi Dave,

I never heard of the TIC or the DST. I looked them both up, and I would consider the TIC (Tenants in Common), because it I believe I have a clear understanding. However the DST (Deferred Sales Trust) is bit confusing. Thanks for the back up ideas.

The acronym DST can stand for many things. In this case, the acronym DST stands for Delaware Statutory Trust and not the Deferred Sales Trust (beware of the Deferred Sales Trust). The Delaware Statutory Trust is very similar to the TIC in terms of results, but wrapped in a different legal wrapper. The TIC and DST allow you to buy a fractional interest in large commercial properties. There are pros and cons as with any investment.

There are some serious investor concerns with the TIC vs the DST. The DST is better for a number of reasons, though more expensive. The DST allows for a 1031 exchange into the DST without having to wind up a TIC each time an investor wants to exit and a new investor enter. This advantage alone creates substantial savings in terms of issues with financing, deeds of the properties, etc.

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Leslie Pappas :

hi Sharon- if you need any help with TICs or DSTs, I am in the field and write a book on it that was released in January on Amazon.  Please let me know if you might like to learn more.  Best- Leslie

Hi Leslie,  If things don't shake out with the time period I will come calling.  Thanks so much

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here