How do I get started?

6 Replies

Hi, my name is Joseph, and I'm brand new to real estate investing. I'm very excited about this, because I view it as a way to optimize my opportunity cost in life. I want to be able to build a strong foundation, and fully understand every aspect of this business. I will not fail, that's not an option for me. I am also seeking a mentor, and would be more than happy to work for someone for free, in exchange for knowledge about the business. I am glad to be apart of this community!

Welcome to BiggerPockets, @Joseph Hopkins . The best place to start, when you're brand new to the site, is The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Investing in Real Estate. This guide was written by Brandon and Josh, and gives you an excellent overview into different types of real estate investing.

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now

@Joseph Hopkins  

Once you do a small hunk of education, I would suggest that you get a written plan down. What do you want in this field. Buy and hold, flipping.  Do the long game and figure out your WHY.  That will keep you motivated through the long boring parts. 

Good luck out there and take massive action! 

@Joshua D.

Thanks a lot for the information! Yes, I will definitely take action. Right now I am focusing on educating myself, and networking to build personal relationships with people. Thanks again.

Joseph

Hi @Joseph Hopkins !

I would second @Mindy Jensen 's advice of starting with The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Investing in Real Estate, it's a great place to discover the different methods of investing you might be interested in, then you can move on from there! After reading through that myself, I really enjoyed reading @Brandon Turner 's books that you can find here on BiggerPockets under the Education tab,  in "Books & Resources". 

Stick with it. If you run into any bumps in the road, share and ask questions here on BiggerPockets. We're here to help each other out along the way.

Enjoy your adventures!

~ Raquel Pea

Hey @Raquel Pea

Thanks for confirming that information, and referring me to those books! I can already tell that this is a very good and positive community. I can't wait to post a blog after my first closing! Thanks!

Joseph 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you