Newbie from Raleigh, NC looking to invest in Durham, NC

14 Replies

Hi BP!

My name is Brandon Rogers and I am originally from Cedar Grove, NC but now live in Raleigh, NC. I am an alumni of North Carolina A&T State University out of Greensboro, NC and I currently work as an engineer. I found BP through a friend of mine about a month ago and I have learned so much from the podcast and forums but now it is time for me to get out there and put some things in motion. I currently have limited personal knowledge about real estate investing but I'm here to learn and doing seems to the best way to do that. I am looking to invest in the Durham, NC market. My partner and myself are looking to invest in a mix of buy and hold properties and fix and flip properties. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to learning from the community and adding to it.

Best regards,

Brandon Rogers

Aggie Pride Brandon,

Welcome to bigger pockets. If you haven't researched any areas in Durham yet I've found a few that I can share with you. I'm not at the point of getting anything under contract but if you want to leverage the research I've already done let me know. Also tell me the specs of your ideal investment property. Definitely some great finds in Durham both SFR and duplex.

Welcome, Brandon! I'm a fellow newbie who's been listening to the podcasts religiously over the past few months since I first found BP. I'd love to follow along with what you learn, and it sounds like we both can learn a lot from @Account Closed .

I'm a real estate agent here in the Triangle (based out of downtown Raleigh). I first got into BP to learn how to better help the investors I broker deals for, but now I'm hooked and can't wait to invest personally in my first deal.

I've noticed there's some great value to be found in parts of Durham. I've had a lot of recent activity in the Ravenstone subdivision (east Durham, at Hwy 98 and Sherron Rd), and there was one foreclosure in there that I wish I could've grabbed in time! If it weren't for BP, I never would've considered the potential income to be made from a deal like that, but now my eyes are open. I'll be glad to pass along any deals I find, as I'm still trying to figure out the financial structure for my first deal - not quite there yet.

That's all for now. I'd love to connect and learn from each other. Welcome to BP!

Welcome Brandon!

I'm also a newbie, looking to start young and build a bright future for myself. You couldn't have found a better place to connect and really mature as an investor. I've been here since earlier this year and I've already learned ALOT! I wish you well in your journey to financial freedom. I'm also in Raleigh, so reach out if I can be of any assistance or if you're looking for a partner.

As for the research, This is a newbie question but how do you conduct such research? I'm looking at rehabbing homes as well as purchasing rental properties but I need to do some research first. I'm guessing from your posts that Durham is a good place to look? I've been learning since last summer, now i'm ready to get started.

@Brandon Rogers Jonathan Cothran @Patrick Madigan

@Aaron Jones best thing I can tell you is what I've heard on BP poscast. MLS has provided the majority of my finds, but also heard suggestions of using craigslist. The thing I try to keep in mind is I want to find the "great" deal and not settle for the "ok" deal. Use the analysis tools here in the community or there are other real estate investment calculators on the web.

Jonathan Cothran @Brandon Rogers I currently am investing in the Alamance county area looking to move towards wake county. It would be good to link with you both and share knowledge
What is the best way to get in touch on here since you can post phone numbers and email?

@Brandon Rogers Welcome to Bigger Pockets!  You'll find a wealth go knowledge on these forums, and there are a lot of local investors who are active on this site.  There is a casual monthly meetup this Thursday at 6:00 at Buffalo Brothers on Lake Boone Trail.  Come meet us!

@Brandon Rogers Welcome! I am a relative newbie myself. I do own two properties in Indianapolis, but they were turnkey investments and I am looking to dive a bit deeper, especially in the Durham area where I plan on moving in 2 years (I currently live in NYC).

Let me know if you want to keep in touch as you go through the process! I'd be happy to chat/bounce ideas off of each other.

@Brandon Rogers

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Paul

good morning brandon, welcome! and you have arrived at the right place. newbie here too. just wished to introduce myself. formerly from washington, dc, i'm just getting started in the staging arena in california and i'm looking to make some connections as well. thanks and sincerely, sydney

My partner @Will Jones and myself conducted our research by simply getting out there and driving the various neighborhoods. Yes, it helps that he grew up in Durham and I grew up around Durham so we are familiar with the area but getting out there and seeing what areas had growth potential and what areas didn't have so much growth potential is where we started. We also went and got an understanding of the city development to understand the direction the city itself wanted to take Durham in. We then found a mentor who was willing to teach us and be the guiding voice for us. It's amazing what people will do for you if you just ask and show some interest. She is currently mentoring us on the real estate investment process (the same things that are talked about in these forums, the podcasts, and books).

Now that you have learned from the podcast, reading material, etc. the best thing at this point is to really put yourself out there. If its just riding around neighborhoods do it. It'll get the ball rolling. If you're anything like I was at that point that just made me even more excited about it and I wanted to do more. @Patrick Madigan @Aaron Jones @Account Closed

@Paul Timmins

You read my mind. I actually joined the REIA group in this area and here they have smaller groups within the bigger group that are more specific to a more defined area. The networking at these events are unmatched.

Thanks for the book suggestions. I actually just bought them.

Brandon

Hi Brandon, welcome to BP. Glad you found this site, it has so many great people & resources that can help you along your REI journey. Best of luck my friend. Ps my uncle is an alum of A&T as well.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here