Votes
Derrik Buschatz
  • Columbia, SC
Votes |
Hello and question about renting our house

Derrik Buschatz
  • Columbia, SC
Posted Jun 13 2016, 14:04

Hello everybody.  New to the website and already learning alot.  Thank you.

My wife and I are considering putting our house up for rent instead of selling when we move next year.  I have a few requests for advice.

We installed brand new hardwood when we moved in last year.  We planned on living here for much longer than will be the case.  The hardwood is everywhere except bathrooms and laundry room.  The questions I have involve how much more rent can we charge over a comparable house without nice hardwoods (comparable would bring $1000 - $1200).  It appears after some research we may be better off allowing pets even though the thought makes me cringe.  I imagine walking into the house after a year with swelled wood where there water bowl was, scratches and urine stains.  If the floors are really pretty how much can I get from a renter extra if they have a pet?  I don't expect them to stay pretty for long, so once it is time to refinish, will a few coats of polyurethane be the best bet?  

Our house payment is $725 a month.  So at $1200 a month we make almost $500 extra.  Is this good enough to cover expenses to where we shouldn't even need to dip into any other source?  The house has a brand new roof and HVAC system.

I have more questions but this is it for now.  I will try to search and find the answers for them on my own.  Just thought some current landlords can chime in and give some insight into our uniques situation.  Thanks.

Loading replies...