New Member from south Kansas City area

16 Replies

My name is Brenten, I am a newbie and very interested in learning the business. I'm drawn to wholesaling but looking for advice and education on the market I have 10 years of medical device sells experience but want to learn about real estate in Kansas City. Looking to meet and get started in the South Kansas City ( Johnson county, KS) market.

Originally posted by @Brenten Kinnison :

My name is Brenten, I am a newbie and very interested in learning the business. I'm drawn to wholesaling but looking for advice and education on the market I have 10 years of medical device sells experience but want to learn about real estate in Kansas City. Looking to meet and get started in the South Kansas City ( Johnson county, KS) market.

Hello Brenten,

Welcome to BP and REI! This is a great website to learn more about investing. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

@Brenten Kinnison Welcome to BP. I would recommend broadening your scope and looking at Jackson County also. That is a good rental area. We're very active in Independence, Raytown, South Kansas City and Grandview areas.

Welcome, we're in the same area.

@Brenten Kinnison

Welcome take full advantage of the resources on BP.

Go to IREM.org search for ARM certified property managers. Call 5 ask them what they see expenses running per category per unit. What do they see them selling for per unit, what is the market occupancy rate. What are the market rents? Ask them if they know anything coming up for sale. Great way to pick up some good info and possibly a deal.

You can also search NARPM.org for the RMP (Residential Management Professional) and MPM (Master Property Manager) certified.

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

Paul

Welcome to BP, great resource.

I recommend all investors not just new ones, find the local real estate investor association to meet live and face to face with your fellow investors and people providing the services you need in your area.

There is a Chapter of National REIA in the Kansas City Metro, they meet the 2nd Tuesday of the month at the Holiday Inn at 8787 Reeder Road in Overland Park. Their July 12th meeting starts at 6pm and is their annual Networking Event to raise money for Harvesters. So while you could register using their first guest free - this meeting is free to register but will be asked to donate $5 at the door to Harvesters.

There will be Vendors in Attendance who can help you build your team.  Area experts on Various topics to help answer questions.  Food, Drink, Door Prizes and some giveaway items.

Check it out.  

Originally posted by @Brenten Kinnison :

I live on the Kansas side but things seem to be easier on the Missouri side. The rental market is HOT. I don't even get people calling me on the Kansas side but I am having better luck in Missouri and properties are cheaper. Those are my .02 cents based on the little experience I have.

But, before you dive in learn your areas.  There are some really great deals on the Missouri Side that are CHEAP - on paper.  But let that tenant leave and you could be out - so Yes - South KC, North of the River, Raytown and there are also deal on the KS side, but prices are going to be higher - as well as some areas of the Northland, Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, Belton and Raymore.

@Brenten Kinnison

Welcome to BP! I am also just getting started in the industry. Feel free to friend me. The info i have found on BP is really helpful and educational as well.

Welcome to BP!

Welcome to BP @Brenten Kinnison . Check out the local REI clubs and reach out to local members here on BP. We are all here to help each other succeed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here