RE Investor, New to NOVA and looking to build my team

9 Replies

Hello BP members,

My name is Dan and I live in Marshall, VA. I am an active duty military member and new(ish) to the Northern Virginia area. I have limited experience in RE investing. In the past I have done a few deals in Michigan, San Diego, and Ohio. I have done a couple of buy and hold deals and purchased a few primary residences. I have also lost 134K on one deal. (don't want to experience that again)

I am looking at single and multi-family properties in Marshall, Warrenton, Culpeper, Fredricksburg, Haymarket, Gainsville, and Front Royal.  I am going to start flipping properties and will begin building a portfolio of rental properties.

I am currently seeking to build a team to attack my goal of replacing my current income with passive income before I retire in a few years. I am looking for local wholesalers, contractors, JV partners, RE agents, a RE lawyer, and partnerships in the local market.

I am willing and ready to trade my hard work for knowledge and guidance.

I am excited to find a great resource in BP and look forward to the relationships and partnerships that are ahead of me.

Respectfully,

Dan

Dan,

I just wanted to say welcome to the BP community. You can look up local REI meetings in your area by going to meetup and looking on Google and also by looking on here. There's a wealth of information here under the education tab. I also recommend taking a look at the books in the BP store. I also wanted to say thank you for your service.

Promotion
REI Nation
Turnkey Real Estate
Wondering how to safely invest in out-of-state real estate?
This 40-page eBook is your best resource for safe, profitable, passive real estate investing.
Download Now

Hello @Dan Call !

Good luck with your team building venture. I am an investor in San Diego and noticed you mentioned you've done some deals here. I'd love to chat in more detail about the type of work you did here, and your thoughts on what worked well? 

Zap Martin

Hi Zap,

I lived in San Diego for just over 15 years.  I lived in Imperial Beach, Coronado, Tierrasanta, and Paradise Hills.  My RE investments were mostly in Paradise Hills, East Lake and El Cajon.  The East Lake properties were new construction projects in 2005-2007.  They were purchased in the begining phases and sold (most) before construction was even completed.  I also invested in the Paradise Hills area (duplexes).  One of those proerties I ended up in a short sale for a loss of $134K, which was terrible at the time, but it launched my education into short sales and forclosures.  After that I took a course on short sales and began working in the forclosure and preforclosure market.  I launched a direct mail campaign and started to learn to negotiate with banks on the behalf of individuals in pre-forclosure. I then spent a good deal of time in the El Cajon area working with individuals theat were in pre-forclosure and essentially wholesaled the deals after locking up permission to work with the banks on behalf of the homeowners. 

It was an expensive education to say the least, but I keep moving forward.  If you have any specific question, I'd be happy to answer and/or discuss.

If you end up spending time in San Diego (noticed you're from Vegas), I'd suggest making an apperance at the San Diego Creative Investors Association (SDCIA).  They are a very strong club with a large member base and a valuable resource.

Thanks,

Dan

Originally posted by @Patrick Shawn Faherty :

Hi. I'm in Stafford (work in Falls Church) and am hoping to find my first buy/hold property in the near future.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the reply.  Where are you looking for your first deal? I think I probably work somewhere near you and would like to meet up for lunch or coffee to hear what your goals are or what you are looking for.

Thanks,

Dan

Hello @Dan Call and welcome to Bigger Pockets. BP is a great place to network with other investors from around the world while getting the information you need to get the deal done right! BP offers free online videos and educational courses to help you get started and even has it's own podcast in itunes. You came to the right place and i wish you all the best. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you