New member investing in Houston and New Orleans

2 Replies

Hello all,

My name is M.J. Hoda.  I'm a third-year law student, and I'm just getting started in the real estate investment world. 

I'm in the process of learning all that I can about multi-family rentals and saving money to get started. And when I really decide to get started learning about something—as I have rental property investing—I generally don't stop until I'm damn good at it. 

I currently live in California, but (long story), will be moving to Houston, Texas in 2017-18. I plan to buy my first properties in Houston and New Orleans, but am open to opportunities across the southeast and Texas. I will likely begin by house-hacking a triplex or 4-plex in Houston, and move on quickly from there. I plan to be very aggressive in the next 5-7 years (particularly if interest rates stay low). I would be very interested and grateful to learn from anyone with experience in the markets I've mentioned.

I'm a smart guy and will soon have more capital than I know what to do with. Generosity with knowledge about the Houston market—in particular—could lead to some really fun and profitable deals beginning in 2017-18. I look forward to meeting more people here on BP!

Best,

M.J. Hoda

Welcome to BP, @Account Closed . If you plan to house hack just be aware that the small multifamilies in Houston that cashflow will likely be in areas you wouldn't normally considering living if you bought a SFR. But we all make sacrifices for the long term, right? :)

Oh yes indeed, I'm quite comfortable with that! Feel free to message me directly if you have experience in the Houston area Michael or just want to chat. Thanks for responding. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here