New Member from Arizona

8 Replies

I'm a retired accountant that has been interested in tax liens for over a dozen years. At one time I worked part time selling Arizona tax lien investment opportunities to small pension funds. This was when we could get the 16% interest in Arizona. We were able to offer the pension plans a very nice return and were able to earn a nice management fee. Then the Hedge Funds and Banks et al forced down the interest rates to the point the business could not make a profit. I stayed away except for teaching my sons to invest on a small scale. Every six months or so I would google tax liens and see if I could find something interesting. I notice a number of tax lien funds looking for investors offering about 5% APR. Not too bad in today's market. Then I found an group that would purchase tax liens for me and do all the work. Their fees are small enough that I would still make a ROI much greater than buying liens in Arizona at the going rate. They also do repairs and sell homes that you aquire through their purchases. They also offer tax sales opportunities. My goal now is to increase my bank account so I can make the minimum investment requirement. I am joining some Investment clubs in Arizona hoping to form a small partnership for that goal.

@Daniel Hyman LOL. From Milwaukee, WI. I was born there a long time ago. In grade school I won a ticket to the Green Bay Packers at Milwaukee County Stadium. In 1958. Before Lombardi. Anyway I didn't keep a list of all the groups that would purchase tax liens for you because they either didn't quote past performance or their estimated ROI was too low. Here is the link of the group I am interested in

https://pipgroup.com/

Make sure you watch all the free webinars. They have a lot to offer.

Sadly, since I discovered them about 14 months ago, they have increased their initial investment from $25,000 to $50,000. The TaxLienLady promotes them and she personally invests with them. There is a fund offered about every 12 months that has really good returns but is all sold out for this year (Comian Investment Group). They have a $25,000 minimum investment. Heck I just saw something about some online tax lien sites require a minimum of $10,000. Even some funds offering an estimated 5% ROI wanted at least $25000. It's getting tough for the small guy to get in. Solution is for small guys to form partnership to buy into these $50,000 funds. Best wishes to you.

Welcome to BP @Bob Martin . As your experience shows, tax lien investing has gotten very competitive. I would be a little skeptical investing with someone else as they may be taking more risk than they disclose or are even aware of themselves. 

We have a number of tax lien experts here on BP. some specialize in AZ

Thank you for welcome @Ned Carey. Regarding AZ tax liens I have an interesting story. In the late 1980's I was in the library in Peoria, AZ, where I happened to go thru a folder of miscellaneous real estate reference material stored in a manila folder. There was a self publish manuscript of about 20 pages talking about Arizona tax liens. I made a copy of it to take home. What I read was so amazing I thought it had to be a joke. 16% percent interest and the lean had priority over a deed of trust or mortgage, So I copied dozens of pages of the appropriate Arizona Revised statutes and studied the laws. So I was thinking about how I wish I had lots of money to buy as many TLCs as possible. Realizing the liens had value, I started questioning real estate lenders and agents asking them if was possible to put up my TLC as collateral for a loan. Then I would use the loan to buy more TLCs. Do you know what I found out? Nobody believed me. Most of the people I talked to had a real estate license. Arizona tax liens were taught in the real estate courses at that time and  nobody (well a few smart ones did) paid attention to the subject. I'm talking people with 10-20 years Arizona real estate experience. NO ONE believed it was true. That was in the 1980's. Now EVERYONE knows about tax liens.

Anyway thanks for the warning. I have been talking to principles in this group for 14 months. They have been acting as turn key agents in tax liens for 12 years. The yield from them on Illinois tax liens(which I can not purchase without using agent or actual being in Illinois) even after their 6-8% fee is so far beyond the yield I could get in Arizona on bulk purchases. I look at the risk vs the reward and it's no contest for me. And they do ALL the work.

I've been investing in tax liens with PIP Group for many years. I have had a very good experience with them and highly recommend them to anyone thinking of investing in tax liens. I can't speak for liens that haven't redeemed yet, buy my annualized return (IRR) on the liens that have redeemed has exceeded 20%. I invest in Illinois liens. Most everything in my portfolio is between 28 and 36%. My return is net of fees and expenses. The unredeemed liens in my portfolio control real estate worth many times more than my investment. Feel free to reach out to me privately if you want to discuss my experience with them.

-I'm also from the Milwaukee area. Cudahy specifically ;)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here