Found you guys while deciding what to do with mom's house.

Found you guys while deciding what to do with mom's house.

Richmond, TX · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes

My mother just passed away and I now (as soon as probate opens formally) have an 1800+ square foot house to decide what to do with. This is a nice, quiet neighborhood in a suburb of Houston with good neighbors in the 3rd fastest growing county in the US. Most have taken great care of their homes and updated. Mom and my step-dad did not do much. I tried to do some things but they didn't want to. Step-dad died in September and then mom in February. The house was built in 1974 and has had new electrical and roof. They allowed a ginormous tree to continue to grow too close to the house and the best estimate to repair the foundation is 12K. I will need to redo the duct work and the water supply as there is galvanized steel that has started to develop pinhole leaks. As is properties in this area sell for around $95 per square foot. I don't know how to determine what current rents are. This would be my first rental. There is no mortgage owed on the property and the tax value is about 178K. I feel like I should rehab and rent, but I don't know how to start working the numbers. I would love some guidance and suggestions!

0Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Westlake Village, CA · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 781 votes
    9y

    Mary,

    My condolences for your mother & stepdad.

    A real quick & dirty ways to find rent data. 

    1) Craigslist

    2) Call a local property manager.

    Figure out the possible rents with 3 scenarios 

    1.AS-IS with no repairs

    2. rent with a light rehab 

    3. Max upgrade to get highest market rent

    Once you find the gross rent, subtract 45-50% for expenses.

    That will give you a net rent number.  Multiply the monthly net rent by 12 & divide by the as is value of the property minus expenses you would have if you sold. 

    Annual Net Rent/Net Value if Sold = % return on Asset

    ex $12,000 net/ $200,000 = 6%

  • Richmond, TX · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thank you Ellis! 

    Light rehab would be fixing "issues" I assume, right? I am starting the course offered here on BP. If feels like this is something that my mom would want me to do. I have a sister I am now the sole responsible party for and none of us are near retirement age. The house is close and I've been a homeowner since I was 23 years old and have a business and banking background (and am currently an independent contractor). 

    I would not have thought of CraigsList to research rents. 

    Thank you!!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.