New guy in St. Louis real estate

8 Replies

Hi everyone! I'm starting off in the real estate world after a long time stock market investing and w-2 work. Still doing the W-2 so I can keep steady income. 

I'm hoping to find and close on my first deal before the end of the year on a BRRRR house.

Looking to connect and build business relationships with lenders, other landlord investors, wholesales, and pretty much anyone else. Been doing a ton of learning and reading and running numbers, so soon I'll be able to put that into practice. 

Question for landlords, how did you come up with your first lease? copy from someone else in the same area, hire a lawyer, PM company, type one up yourself? 

First lease can be found In a number of ways:

Google

Lawdepot.com can generate almost any document during the trial basis. I signed up, generated a doc for everything I could think of, and then opted out. Very useful and free

Buy the rental book combo from @Brandon Turner and it comes with a cornucopia of documents for running a rental business. Very useful and they come in word doc format so you can add clauses and adjust terms. The books are also useful

If you want to be super safe, get an rei lawyer to draft one. Relatively expensive but will be exactly what you want and totally abiding the law.

@Donald S.

Find a good PM and they should have a rock solid lease that covers every sticky issue they've encountered over time. If you're just starting out, hire a PM while you get a handle on the business. You can always take over and self-manage later on if you find you have the appetite for it. Even if you self-manage, add a 10% management fee when you calc your expenses so you know you could always turn it over to management later and still cash flow.

@Donald S.   Don, if you have any questions about hard money lending just from a conceptual standpoint, I would be happy to discuss and point out the pro's and con's.  Many investors utilize the power of leverage that hard money can provide to assist them in building their real estate business.  Best of luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you