Aspiring RE Investor in Greensboro , NC

7 Replies

Greetings and salutations everyone, My name is Thomas Bynum and I am a senior AET student at North Carolina A&T state university. I have recently become very interested in real estate and realized that I can use this as a gateway to live my life to its fullest potential by taking care of myself, family, friends, giving back to those less fortunate than me and enjoying all that life has to offer without always having to think about money . No one in my family or immediate circle has ever made Real Estate Investment their primary source of income , let alone made this at least one of their streams of income if they chose to have multiple, so I really don’t have a point of reference to go off of. However , I’m not going to let that stop me from doing this to the best of my abilities. I know that through hard work and perseverance, I can achieve a lot with this. With that being said , I just wanted to introduce myself to you all and try to get a better feel for being involved in the community as a whole. My Goal is to first start with the wholesale of properties and then over time work my way up to flipping and Buying and Rent properties to eventually create multiple streams of passive income . I’ve already taken the steps to begin the learning process by looking at YouTube videos, of course listening to the BiggerPockets Podcast lol, and looking over potential deals in my area (Greensboro,NC), but of course it will take time and a lot more experiences. If anyone has any words of encouragement or any tips/advice it would be greatly appreciated . Thank you all for letting be apart of the community ! Thomas Bynum

Welcome aboard Thomas, you've certainly come to the right place. I would keep reading the forums, buy a few books, check out the podcast and attend your local REIA. Then jump in. Good luck!

@Thomas Bynum

My team has an apartment complex by Greensboro!  

Definitely educate yourself and spend the time to better understand this business. Also attend local REI meetings to meet other like-minded individuals who can help guide you in the right direction that best suites your goals.

Thomas, welcome to Bigger Pockets! Greensboro has some great real estate investing opportunities so if you decide to remain there after graduation I encourage you to network, network, network to be well positioned for deals later as they surface. The local real estate groups are a good start - also are there clubs on campus that can sharpen your skills and introduce you to local real estate movers and shakers? Or offer to intern for the larger landlords or investment firms in town. College is perhaps the last time asking questions is welcomed and folks want to help in your development so I encourage you to take advantage of of this time. It goes by fast.

Welcome to BP Thomas!  This is a great place to learn and network.  But as a few others have mentioned in the above posts, I highly recommend that you join your local Real Estate Investment Association.  You can google and find that information for Greensboro.  I've been a member for a few years now and have been part of BP as well.  I'm a transplant originally from Brooklyn, NY where I started out in real estate many, many moons ago!  We basically buy, renovate and rent.  Now venturing into a niche market which is very exciting for us at this time as the real estate and business climate is "right".  Feel free to reach out to me in the future.  All the best for the New Year!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you