Newbie Dives into Residential Assisted Living Facilities

4 Replies

I've gotten interested in Residential Assisted Living Facilities (RALs or RALFs). Gene Guarino has been doing a great job of selling the idea. So I'm in!

But I'm a newbie to real estate, and the more I learn the more intimidated I feel. I'll be starting a new business, licensing, buying property, rehabbing, staffing, marketing, etc. When I looked into opening RALs in North Carolina, where I live, I learned that all new RALs here for over 6 people require a CON, a Certificate Of Need. The CON application alone is a sweet nonrefundable $5,000 to $50,000. And our region's analyst, the one that reviews the CONs, told me "...no application would be accepted..."

She's harshing my buzz!

Rewind! I should follow Gene's example. He started by buying an existing facility. So I went online to find them. Thank goodness there is a directory of licensed RALs online on my state website. I'll be calling!

Surprise! I was checking out prices for a facility on SeniorAdvisor.com (had to give my name, email and phone number), and got a call _one_second_ after I hit enter. I kid you not! 

Now that's customer service!

Hi, Paula and congrats on your new business!  it sounds great. I am thinking of looking into them here in Cleveland, Oh where I live.  I've seen quite a few popping up and they seem to do very well.  As a UPS driver, I often deliver to them so I've seen them inside and have started talking to the managers, staff and the residence.  I wish you well in your endeavor they are greatly needed. 

@Paula Willis that’s awesome! I am interested in these facilities also. I have heard of Gene but haven’t done too much research into him but I am familiar with Group Home Riches. Anyone have any experience with Gene or Group Home Riches? 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you