Fourteen years old and wondering what steps I should start taking

Fourteen years old and wondering what steps I should start taking

Florida, Bradenton · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hey folks, I was first introduced to the idea of real estate investing about 6 months ago, and I very much so liked the sound of it. However, being only a child, I couldn't do anything except read a few free books I'd found. I'm in tenth grade, and plan on going to university, so I have plenty of time to figure things out. My main questions are whether my college major should be a "Plan B" just in case real estate investing doesn't work out, or if I should go all in and major in something like finance or business? Also, many, many people say "They wish they started younger," and being fourteen, I want to start young. What can I be doing right now to prepare myself and learn the basics of real estate investing?

I apologize if the format of this thread is incorrect, or if I am too young to be posting on this site.

0Reply
23 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Noah Norton:

    Hey folks, I was first introduced to the idea of real estate investing about 6 months ago, and I very much so liked the sound of it. However, being only a child, I couldn't do anything except read a few free books I'd found. I'm in tenth grade, and plan on going to university, so I have plenty of time to figure things out. My main questions are whether my college major should be a "Plan B" just in case real estate investing doesn't work out, or if I should go all in and major in something like finance or business? Also, many, many people say "They wish they started younger," and being fourteen, I want to start young. What can I be doing right now to prepare myself and learn the basics of real estate investing?

    I apologize if the format of this thread is incorrect, or if I am too young to be posting on this site.

     You have a thousand different possibilities in front of you. I think the very first thing you should do is learn everything you can about investing and learn everything you can about personal finances. Start saving and investing while you are young. Set those financial goals now and you will be able to buy that first investment property so much quicker.

    Do you have any family member who is a landlord or who invests in real estate? Growing up in the 1980's, both my parents were real estate agents and my father attempted several unsuccessful flips and did a few owner finance deals. Going back, I wish I would have understood real estate back then. I didn't realize the potential of real estate until I was over 30 years old.

  • Florida, Bradenton · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Originally posted by @Anthony Gayden:
    Originally posted by @Noah Norton:

    Hey folks, I was first introduced to the idea of real estate investing about 6 months ago, and I very much so liked the sound of it. However, being only a child, I couldn't do anything except read a few free books I'd found. I'm in tenth grade, and plan on going to university, so I have plenty of time to figure things out. My main questions are whether my college major should be a "Plan B" just in case real estate investing doesn't work out, or if I should go all in and major in something like finance or business? Also, many, many people say "They wish they started younger," and being fourteen, I want to start young. What can I be doing right now to prepare myself and learn the basics of real estate investing?

    I apologize if the format of this thread is incorrect, or if I am too young to be posting on this site.

     You have a thousand different possibilities in front of you. I think the very first thing you should do is learn everything you can about investing and learn everything you can about personal finances. Start saving and investing while you are young. Set those financial goals now and you will be able to buy that first investment property so much quicker.

    Do you have any family member who is a landlord or who invests in real estate? Growing up in the 1980's, both my parents were real estate agents and my father attempted several unsuccessful flips and did a few owner finance deals. Going back, I wish I would have understood real estate back then. I didn't realize the potential of real estate until I was over 30 years old.

     Unfortunately, none of my family members do anything related to real estate investing. Also, because of my location, I can't really go to any resources outside the internet. I plan on trying to make connections once I move away for college, but as of now, all I can do is research.

  • Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 23 votes
    8y
    Your in the right place my man! Learn as much as you can on bigger pockets and start learning the language and all that good stuff. As for picking a major... you can’t go wrong with a general business or finance major. Make sure to take some crazy cool electives to give you a broad basis. At the end of the day your major doesn’t matter nearly as much as the fact that you got a degree. My next piece of advice would be to find a local group or Meetup and get involved asap, Especially once you get to school. That’s where you will meet your first parter and/or mentor. That’s where you’ll find contacts for lenders, contractors, agents etc. you’ll learn a ton but you’ll also find the value of networking. This business is just like any other: it’s less about what you know and more about who you know! Good luck to you!
  • Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 301 posts · 149 votes
    8y

    @Noah Norton - Awesome man! You have so much time ahead of you. You have time to really crush it! Definitely try to find someone willing to let you learn in exchange for you working for them doing something. Most likely you will need to work for free. Which is OK! The knowledge you gain will be extremely valuable. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.