Shelby Colter Newbie Wholesaler From Skiatook/Coweta Oklahoma

9 Replies

Hello fellow Bigger Pockets members! My name is Shelby Colter and I am 21 years old perusing a career as a wholesaler/realtor and working towards my degree to teach middle school English. I am literally just starting out driving for dollars making business cards trying to network and find potential investors in the area. To be honest I am still nervous trying to find that first great deal but very eager to learn. My specific real estate goal is to be comfortable enough to wholesale and contract with investors and eventually get my realtors license to sale houses. Also, flipping a house has always interested me but I do not have the resources at this time to do so. I became acquainted with Bigger Pockets from my boyfriend as we shared our mutual interest in real estate. He encouraged me to listen to the Podcasts (number 42 in my favorite). Now I am hooked and am really enjoying reading the blogs and forums as well. 

Welcome from a fellow Oklahoma investor.  I'm in Oklahoma City but I believe that Tulsa has some great meet-ups, you can look for them on the Network tab under events.

@Shelby Lynn Colter What markets are you operating in? You'll have a hard time wholesaling, if you're only thinking of working in your local market (Skiatook) because of the small population. 

I hope you aren't following some guru's advice of wholesaling being a way to get into the game for 0 dollars (very typical pitch). Wholesaling has one of the highest attrition rates because it is a continuous grind especially at this stage of the cycle.

Don't want to deflate you but we have a ton of wholesaling posts showing up over the past few months. 

@Omar Khan Thank you for your concern but I am not following the advice of a "guru" as you say. I also plan to expand my market past Skiatook I have no one specific area as of right now. As of right now I drive for dollars to try to find potential properties. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you