Newbie from Mt Clemens Michigan here!

5 Replies

Hi Everybody, Pete here, 28 years old! I am a newbie to real estate investing. I have always been intrigued by real estate since my late teens, but never really educated myself on how to actually get started. I went to physical therapy school which is great, now I am working at a Rehab center in southfield michigan for 2 years now. I love the job and scope of work, but I am not thrilled about the 7:30am-4pm schedule every single weekday! I now ask myself "what now?" for the direction I want to go in life. I came across a Than Merril free 2 hour workshop and really enjoyed the content, so I signed up for there 3 day workshop. In the time between the seminar and the workshop, I discovered bigger pockets. After the 3 day seminar I was shocked at how much there is to know in the world of real estate. The Fortune Builders seminar tried to sell me on a 30K program to help me get started with real estate with live coaching, but I chose not to make such a big purchase after a 3 day weekend. Instead my strategy is to use bigger pockets to further investigate all the topics I have learned at the seminar in depth, and to begin making a deal whether it be finding a good house to rehab and BRRR, or a whole sale deal. Once I prove to myself I am serious about real estate and I can do this, I may consider the fortune builders program. So right now I am having trouble figuring out where to start out. I have about 35K in cash and other ways to get money such as IRA/401K and credit cards. I just need some help finding a way to start. Please get in contact with me if you would like!.

I would recommend hiring a local coach versus paying $30K for their program. I can put you in touch with the local coaching program that I did to get started. It was really worth the investment. It’s about10% the cost of Than’s program.

Hello @Pietro Gaglio

Welcome to BP! and Welcome to the world of RE investing! I personally dislike most paid coaching programs. I think the best way to learn is from books and trial and error. Also there is so much information on this site. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you need any help.

I appreciate the advice! I wasn't planning on taking a coaching program until I already get the ball rolling and have some investments. At that point if I needed something to get me to the next level, I would consider coaching. 

@Pietro Gaglio

There’s tons of great groups and Meetups right here in Metro Detroit where you can “meet up” with other real estate investors.

The next one is May 31st in Warren. The REIA of Macomb is open to the public.

If I can help out on any way please feel free to reach out!

And welcome to BP.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you