19 year old getting my license

2 Replies

I'm just getting my Real Estate License from Eastern Illinois University, and Im wondering if a college degree is needed/better to go with then just getting my license? And I'm wondering if there's any advice/tips I can get about being a younger real estate agent seeing that not to many people are gonna wanna work with me. (I always do dress upper class) 

A college degree opens doors. You may decide you don't like being a real estate agent. Also youth can be a  disadvantage in sales. Millennials might not have an issue, but older clients may balk at working with someone their child or grandchild's age. Get the degree AND the license.

Becoming a real estate investor does not carry that disadvantage. Make that transition as soon as possible. 

Hi Celeb,  I agree with George... Get your degree in a marketable major and get it out of the way.  

Having it as a fall back is extremely valuable.  

If you are going to be a retail agent (Century 21, KW etc...) you're going to get some great training. While in the office, try your best to sit near the top producing agents.  Listen to how they talk to their clients on the phone. Being that young means that you shouldn't bring any bad working habits with you. Find a broker that will teach you to prospect, farm and cold call. 

If you meet a potiential customer that seems apprehensive about working with you because of your age, confidently tell them "I might not have any listings or a ton of other buyers, but I think that's a great thing for you!  I can devote 100% of my time helping you get to where you want to go..."

Best of luck Celeb. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you