New Member & want to put myself on the right track - Charlotte NC

4 Replies

Hello!

I'm a recent college graduate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (This past May) who has been lucky enough to both graduate with no student debt and secure a job in the Charlotte area. I've been looking into ways to stay on top of my finances and set myself up for a stable future. One of the ways I plan to do this is by investing in real estate. I have been reading a lot and have decided that I would find a multi-family property in which I could attempt to house hack. I am currently in the process of going through Brandon Turner's The Book on Rental Property Investing: How to Create Wealth and Passive Income Through Smart Buy & Hold Real Estate Investing and it has really inspired me to take action and learn by doing. As I will soon be relocating to the area, I was hoping I would not have to rent, but rather own a property. The main issues I have is that I am not familiar with the area nor its real estate market. I have taken a look at the mls listings and craigslist listings of both Charlotte and its nearby suburban areas but have found very few multi-family properties between 2-4 units in which I could get an FHA loan for. In the next few weeks I plan on attending any networking events and meetups that I can and furthering my education with more books and the BiggerPockets podcast. In the meantime, I was wondering if there was anyone who has done anything similar that would be willing to share some advice or even their own story. I hope to learn a lot from everyone here at BiggerPockets and be able to get the knowledge and experience to help others who want to start their journey in real estate as well.

Hi @Kiet Huynh ...I'm based in Las Vegas but my business partner, Corey Goldstein would be a great contact in the Charlotte Area.  Also he run the Charlotte Outback Investor Group so you would have a network to plug into.  You can either reach out to me at my number below (text for fastest response) and/or I'll private message you his contact info.  Congrats on graduation and welcome to the investing game!

Hi Kiet -

Sorry to see you left my hometown Chapel Hill but glad you stayed in state. Lots of career opportunities in Charlotte. I househacked earlier in my life, when prices were not so frothy. Got a lot of good life lessons in my 20s from those experiences! Well worth it. Best of luck to you. 

Greg

@Kiet Huynh hello and welcome to BiggerPockets!

You are definitely on the right track!

The only advice I can give to you at this stage in your investing career is this, Kiet:

1) Be a sponge on here. Soak up all the free information from the articles, blogs, and podcasts. 

2) Join your local real estate investors club and network with local investors and real estate professionals in your area.

3) Interact with the experienced investors on here and pick their brains.

Once you get a deal brewing, bring the deal here so the experienced ones can help you close it correctly.

You are on the right track. Don't quit. I'm happy to help any way I can, and I wish you the best in your real estate investing career!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you