Long time lurker, first time poster

17 Replies

Well actually I lied. It's not really my first time posting, but I finally decided to make the jump and become a more active contributor to the community. 

My name is Chris Tran and from wonderful Southern California. The land of sun, beaches, and ridiculously priced real estate. By day, I'm a Technical Project Manager for a large console gaming company. While I love what I do, the ideal of being a wage slave for the rest of my life really isn't that appealing. 

For the past two years, I've been slowly growing rental portfolio but now it's time I kick my investing into high gear. Currently, I have properties in both Memphis and Kansas City, MO and I'm mainly looking to grow in KC. I'm mainly looking to add either single-family or multifamily homes in areas with decent school districts (including, but not limited to Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, North KC) to my portfolio.

Short term my goal is to acquire at least two more properties this year and four more next year. Long term, my goal is to build a rental portfolio large enough that will allow me to retire early (aka - work for myself). 

I've learned so much from the community and it's really awesome to be part of a great like minded group. If anyone is from/passing through Orange County, CA, please hit me up. The coffee (or first round of beer) is on me!

Hey Chris,

Glad you are going to become more active. It's never been a better time to try to network in OC, there are so many meetups and resources in the OC and LA area. You can find them on Meetup.com. Also feel free to reach out to me to talk. I currently foucs on DFW, TX and looking to expand out to a couple other markets. Looking for large apartment complexes and repositioning, not easy so I do flips and development to build up capital.

Daniel

@Chris Tran I hear good things from my investors in KC. Personally I’m not there but I’d say it’s one of the top 4 places for an out of state buyer to be. Just try to buy rentals that rent for at least 900 a month.

@Chris Tran those are some great goals!  And since you already made the jump into the investing pool, the next ones will be easy.  

Let me know if you are ever looking for contacts here in KC.  I'm happy to pass you along to anyone I use.  I spent my first few years hoarding contacts because I was worried they'd get too busy for me.  Then, I realized, if I go out of my way to help their business grow they will take better care of mine!!!!  Works like a dream.  So, I'm happy to divulge.  Your business growth helps my contacts business, who in-turn help my business growth.  

Shoot me a note if you are looking for any team members here in KC

Hey Chris- welcome! Not that you are asking, but have you looked at Boise, ID? I work with several investors from California who are buying here. It's the fastest growing metro in the country and rents and appreciation here are excellent, relatively. We don't generally see cash flow like you see in the Midwest, but we obviously have much greater appreciation. Feel free to PM me if you have any interest. Good luck out there!

Originally posted by @Chris Tran :

Well actually I lied. It's not really my first time posting, but I finally decided to make the jump and become a more active contributor to the community. 

My name is Chris Tran and from wonderful Southern California. The land of sun, beaches, and ridiculously priced real estate. By day, I'm a Technical Project Manager for a large console gaming company. While I love what I do, the ideal of being a wage slave for the rest of my life really isn't that appealing. 

For the past two years, I've been slowly growing rental portfolio but now it's time I kick my investing into high gear. Currently, I have properties in both Memphis and Kansas City, MO and I'm mainly looking to grow in KC. I'm mainly looking to add either single-family or multifamily homes in areas with decent school districts (including, but not limited to Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, North KC) to my portfolio.

Short term my goal is to acquire at least two more properties this year and four more next year. Long term, my goal is to build a rental portfolio large enough that will allow me to retire early (aka - work for myself). 

I've learned so much from the community and it's really awesome to be part of a great like minded group. If anyone is from/passing through Orange County, CA, please hit me up. The coffee (or first round of beer) is on me!

Now is a great time to jump in! Good luck to you!

Welcome out of the lurking shadows Chris and best of luck investing! 

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

@Daniel Y. I've been wanting to get more involved in the meetup scene in OC. Hopefully I'll see you at a future one. Where in OC are you? Perhaps we can connect over coffee.

@Lane Kawaoka Thanks for the advice! It sounds like I'm on the right track. I'm predominantly focused in the $1000-1200 single family price point in better school districts. Sure they cost more to acquire, but I believe the tenant quality is a lot higher and mitigate a lot of risk, especially important for an out of town investor.

@Matt Pritchard Thanks for the kind offer. You know what, I'm actually looking a rockstar home inspector. Know anyone? Likewise, let me know if there's anyway I can help you along your journey as well.

@Corby Goade I haven't really thought about Boise at all and honestly don't know much about it. I don't think I'm ready to add a new market to my portfolio, but will reach out to you once I'm ready to get into a new market.

@Tom Ott Likewise, good luck to you too!

@Andrew Syrios Appreciate the note! Best of luck to you too.

@Chris Tran

I work in Irvine, so we can meet up after work. Also, a lot of the meetups are in south OC like Irvine, Lake Forest, etc. We can talk about those if we get together before one of the meetups.

@Matt Pritchard just sent you an email, thanks again. 

@Daniel Y. sounds great. I work in Aliso Viejo so that works out well. When is the next meetup you’re attending?

Glad Kansas City is going so well for you!

@Chris Tran Good schools??? I think you need to check yo self lol

@Lane Kawaoka Plenty of good school districts in the KC metro. Check out Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, and even portions of Liberty and North KC among others. Lots of areas served by Great Schools rated 7+ schools.

@Chris Tran  Hello and congrats on kicking your goals into high gear!  My husband and I currently live in and invest in Lee's Summit.  It is a awesome city with great schools, award winning parks and a downtown area that we are really proud of.  Feel free to contact me with any questions about Lee's Summit.  Good luck!

Jeanna

@Chris Tran feel free to reach out if you wanted to chat about KC real estate. My company has been actively buying single and multi-family properties in KC. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here