Newbie from Los Angeles area looking to invest out-of-state

11 Replies

Hello everyone!

I am looking to build an investing career through rental properties.  After doing research for the past couple of months, I've decided I would like to start building a team in Columbus Ohio and start with a single family rental home within this year.

I'm currently a civil engineer in the construction industry in LA. Since I spend a lot of time in traffic, I have had plenty of time to listen to audio books, and one that has really inspired me is David Greene's "Long Distance Real-Estate Investing".

Hoping to hear from others who have invested out-of-state without going the turnkey route, others who invest in Columbus, or anyone else who would like to network or share experiences!  Thanks for your time

@Caleb - which method do you prefer after doing both? Have you found similar returns?

@James Tran - are there any realtors or property management companies you’d recommend in the area?

Thanks you guys

Hey Kyle,

I’m a civil engineer in construction in the Bay Area. I recently purchased two SF homes from a reputable turnkey provider. So far so good. I also picked up David’s Greene’s book and hope to try my next deal on my own OOS deal. Goodluck on your real estate journey and it’s good to see other civils out there in the real estate investing world!

Bill Robowski

I know someone that invests in rental properties in Cleveland, OH and has done very well for herself. 21 properties in a year! Best of luck!

Welcome @Kyle Hyatt   I'm a pharmacist in LA but my sister and brother-in-law are also civil engineers for the city.  Have a triplex in Glendale, but also looking for more affordable markets.  Wishing you the best! Wondering how you ended up choosing Columbus, OH.  

Originally posted by @Kyle Hyatt :

Hello everyone!

I am looking to build an investing career through rental properties.  After doing research for the past couple of months, I've decided I would like to start building a team in Columbus Ohio and start with a single family rental home within this year.

I'm currently a civil engineer in the construction industry in LA. Since I spend a lot of time in traffic, I have had plenty of time to listen to audio books, and one that has really inspired me is David Greene's "Long Distance Real-Estate Investing".

Hoping to hear from others who have invested out-of-state without going the turnkey route, others who invest in Columbus, or anyone else who would like to network or share experiences!  Thanks for your time

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!

@Kyle Hyatt   I've been a fix and flip guy in the central Ohio area for about 12 years.  It's as challenging now as it's been since I've been in real estate.  My team and I are still focusing primarily on flips, but beginning to add on some rental properties as well.  Build your team, boots on the ground are vitally important.  Feel free to reach out if there's anything I can do to help!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you