Newbie from Albuquerque, New Mexico

11 Replies

Hello everyone,

I have been listening to the podcast for a couple weeks now and feel like there is no better time to start than right now! I am a recent college graduate from UNM with my bachelors in Economics. I am currently underwriting insurance with a local provider, but I'm not trying to be in the insurance industry forever. I am dedicated to building a diverse portfolio over my lifetime that will include single family, multi-family, commercial, and land. My dad is a former general contractor who owns various properties around the state, which has given me a lot of great exposure to rental income, flipping, and managing property. I own my own condo that I purchased as a gutted-out foreclosure for 17k and have remodeled to be my current residence. I am looking to house hack or live in flip in the next 2-5 years.

My long term goal in life is to build a permaculture food forest and community of friends and family to live in harmony and cooperation with our environment and each other. 

Michael

Michael, welcome to BP. I started on BP approximately 4 years ago and have learned most everything I know from the podcasts, forums and BP recommended books. Doesn't get any better than this site and the people on it. Wish you the best, and let me know if I can help in any way!

Welcome @Michael Landgraf ! The REI community in ABQ has been active and growing. Glad to see another investor in NM. Make sure to check out the local meetups: meetup.com/abqreia , meetup.com/acrenm, I don't have the link to the other one. Let us know if you have any questions.

@Michael Landgraf Welcome to BP family! Congrats on starting out in real estate early! You're definitely on the right path to success! Educate yourself as much as possible in the niche you're concentrating in right now! There're tons of educational materials under Education section of BP.  One word of advise though, when starting out plan to concentrate on one area at a time, just like Gary Keller likes to says that in his famous "One thing" book!

Best!

@Michael Landgraf , welcome to BP and the ABQ market. There is a lot of good resources here on BP and a lot of good people that are available to help you here in Albuquerque. Attend all the REI monthly meetings that you can and network all you can here. There are three great groups for beginners and several others that are good for people with experience, so it sounds like you can fit into any of them. If you need anything let me know.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you