Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
New Member Introductions
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kim Temple
Votes |
4-plex that comes with a lot of work..Should I purchase?

Kim Temple
Posted

Hello All,

I am a want to be real estate investor, and I am in the middle of purchasing my second investment property, a 4-plex in Austin, TX. It needs a ton of work and I am trying not to get scared off. The fourplex will need about 150k in repairs sometime in the next next 1-5 years.  The foundation is solid but everything else will need to be replaced at some point. I will have to spend 20k right off the bat to fix certain things. It is fully rented out and once I can update them a little, I should be able to get about $1050 a month for each unit (2/1s). It is a great neighborhood close to big shopping and plenty of tech jobs. This little 4-plex pocket is in transition that is starting to attract a different type of tenant. The main goal is have cash flow for retirement in 30 years once paid off.

The reasons above are the reasons I want this 4-plex. I know that down the road it will have a big return but it will require a lot of work. I will be inheriting 4 tenants which makes me a little nervous too.

I feel that this may be the only opportunity I will have to buy a 4-plex in Austin. It is the least expensive one on the market (out of like 5). What do you think? Will it be worth it in the end? What is like to acquire tenants? 

Thanks!

Kim 

Loading replies...