Green Hand from Calgary, Alberta!

4 Replies

Good evening BPer's! I am Jon Peebles and recently have caught the real estate investment bug!

As far as experience in the field, my girlfriend and I have just bought our first condominium and move in two weeks. Exciting times for sure.  We call Calgary, Alberta, Canada home. 

My 9-5 is in construction as a Heavy Equipment Operator. Having recently transferred to a new department, I am able to take advantage of the radio silence in the machine and listen to 7-8 Bigger Pockets Podcasts per shift! Learn while I earn. This is a very valuable approach and time saving as well.

My goals are fairly ambitious, as they should be, to retire from "employee" status within the next 5 years. To do this, the niche that has my attention is Buy and Hold Small Multi Family units.

How did I find Bigger Pockets? Youtube did me a solid and recommended a podcast or how to video based off of a recent investing research blitz.

So there it is, the first step in talking to the community.

Regard BPer's,

Jon Peebles

Update:

Last Thursday I was able to move forward in the beginning stages of networking by meeting up with a local Agent/Investor. It was an information packed hour, where we discussed goals, the market in Calgary, different strategies that are proven locally and different analysis tools.

The Agent in question is a BP member who reached out to me and offered his time and expertise to help get me started. And also offered was the opportunity to meet his established network to further my understanding and to accelerate the investment property buying process.

It is one small step in the journey towards achieving goals and financial freedom and it is one that I highly recommend to other newbies. It all started by listening to Joshua Dorkin's and Brandon Turner's advice; set up a profile, upload a picture and introduce yourself to the BP Community.

I look forward to the next steps ahead: analyzing properties, viewing properties, further networking and speaking with the first private investor I have in mind.

TL;DR   ****Newbies, start interacting with the community, the value you might find could change your career and life.****

Regards,

Jon

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you