• Rental Property Investor
  • State College, PA
Votes |
Newbie from State College, PA

Tyler Smith
  • Rental Property Investor
  • State College, PA
Posted Jul 4 2018, 11:02

Hi! My name is Tyler Smith.  I am married, 27 years old, and I am in the education phase of real estate investing career.  I grew up not far from State College, PA, and currently work there as an engineer for Penn State University.  I don't wish to be an engineer for the rest of my life, but instead have the freedom to enjoy my family and hobbies.  Bigger Pockets first hit my radar about a month ago while reading Brandon Turner's book on Rental Property Investing.  Before becoming an engineer, I spent 4 years in the US Army as an airborne infantryman, deploying twice to beautiful Afghanistan.  

Last year while interning, I began my 45 minute commute where I decided rather than listening to songs on the radio that I've heard a million times, I should instead be using the time wisely and educating myself.  That's when I downloaded Audible and my first audiobook purchase, Rich Dad Poor Dad.  This book totally changed my way of thinking.  From that point on, I was addicted to learning more and more.  Since then I've read, and continue to read, numerous real estate and self-development books.  Since reading Brandon's book, I've been binge-listening to Bigger Pockets' podcasts. I am at the point now where I believe analysis paralysis has taken hold.  While listening to Ken McElroy's Bigger Pockets podcast, he mentioned the "A-student" who wants to know everything before diving into something.  This really hit home, and has prompted me to get over the fact that I'll never know everything, and there's no better time than now to jump in with both feet.  

Building my network and scouting properties is my first course of action, and what better place to do that than Bigger Pockets?  I want to thank you all for welcoming me to the community, and I look forward to contributing!

Loading replies...