Newbie from State College, PA

16 Replies

Hi! My name is Tyler Smith.  I am married, 27 years old, and I am in the education phase of real estate investing career.  I grew up not far from State College, PA, and currently work there as an engineer for Penn State University.  I don't wish to be an engineer for the rest of my life, but instead have the freedom to enjoy my family and hobbies.  Bigger Pockets first hit my radar about a month ago while reading Brandon Turner's book on Rental Property Investing.  Before becoming an engineer, I spent 4 years in the US Army as an airborne infantryman, deploying twice to beautiful Afghanistan.  

Last year while interning, I began my 45 minute commute where I decided rather than listening to songs on the radio that I've heard a million times, I should instead be using the time wisely and educating myself.  That's when I downloaded Audible and my first audiobook purchase, Rich Dad Poor Dad.  This book totally changed my way of thinking.  From that point on, I was addicted to learning more and more.  Since then I've read, and continue to read, numerous real estate and self-development books.  Since reading Brandon's book, I've been binge-listening to Bigger Pockets' podcasts. I am at the point now where I believe analysis paralysis has taken hold.  While listening to Ken McElroy's Bigger Pockets podcast, he mentioned the "A-student" who wants to know everything before diving into something.  This really hit home, and has prompted me to get over the fact that I'll never know everything, and there's no better time than now to jump in with both feet.  

Building my network and scouting properties is my first course of action, and what better place to do that than Bigger Pockets?  I want to thank you all for welcoming me to the community, and I look forward to contributing!

@Tyler Smith Welcome to BP and the world of REI! I listen to many books on Audible. It also allows me to choose which books I need in written format for further notes and evaluation without paying full retail for them until I know.

Hey Tyler,

Welcome! I'm also from the State College area. Grew up and graduated from Bellefonte. 

When you say you're scouting properties what kind of properties and deals are you looking for? Single family, multi-family? Rentals, flips?

Are you looking right in State College or an outlying town? 

Thank you, Joseph and Zach, for welcoming me.

@Zach Robbins I am primarily interested in multi-family rentals; however, single family may be a better bet for my first go at it.  This may be flawed thinking, which is why I am here.  I have family in Bellefonte, and graduated from Philipsburg-Osceola.  

I'm looking within a 10 to 15 mile radius of State College.  Lemont, Bellefonte, Boalsburg, Centre Hall, Pine Grove Mills, etc....  I haven't nailed down a specific market yet, and I don't have much insight.  I appreciate you taking the time to welcome me!

Hey Tyler!  Welcome to BP.  I also made the same decision to switch to podcasts/audiobooks while driving (I do a ton of driving) and it really has enhanced my life tremendously.  I am an agent/investor in Philadelphia, and have done deals all over PA.  I would love to help answer any questions I can.  I completely agree that you will never be able to learn everything about RE investing, and that knowing "enough" and then jumping in is the best course of action.  

Welcome! I'm a couple hours from you, although I've spent more than a few nights at the fryst haha. I'm roughly around the same stage as you (I have a rent to own under my belt, not a big deal trust me), but I'm happy to help you if I can. I'd say narrow down exactly what you want, SFH or small multi, then narrow what market you want to target. Find what price range you're comfortable with and try to make a great deal happen, don't wait for one it will never come!

@Tyler Smith I’m an engineer too and realized that the day job just was not going to get me where I wanted to go with a max 100k salary with a life.

I would say start buying class b and c rentals and build your portfolio slowly. Emphasis on cashflow. Let me know if have questions.

Welcome @Tyler Smith ! I’m in State College and completing high end flips geared towards professionals and University staff. We have our latest one on the market if you ever want to check it out. We’re looking to get into buy and holds but it’s expensive here in State College so we’re focusing on Bellefonte and Philipsburg among a few other places. Thank you for your service bro, I’m also a vet but a Marine Corps grunt ✌🏼

Shoot me a message and let’s connect :)

@Tyler Smith I'm new as well. I'm 30 and live in State College as well. I own and have some decent house hacking experience but looking to get another rental as well. Let me know if you want to connect sometime to share ideas

@Tyler Smith  I live in State College as well for school studying environmental engineering. Been researching for a while now but now I want to take action.  I didn’t think there were many deals here until I read this discussion! Do you know of any reia meetings in the area?

Let’s  connect!

@Tyler Smith welcome to Bigger Pockets! I'm also on the outskirts of State College as well. That first deal is the hardest one to get under your belt sometimes just because you move from information to action but it really is the most important deal you can make as they often say on the podcasts. It sounds like you see that already and are taking great steps to prepare yourself to take action. Keep evaluating deals and then when you find one with the right margins and a decent exit strategy dare yourself to do it :) Good luck on this journey it's a very exciting season. I always enjoy getting to connect with investors in the area (new and experienced), pm if youre up to grab a cup of coffee!

Hello! @Tyler Smith

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent. There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you