New to forum, Seattle

17 Replies

Hey All,

I am a 25 year old that has been living in Seattle the passed 3 years. I lived in Cleveland, OH for school before that, and grew up in the Chicago area. Currently a software engineer trying to become more financial independent. On here for mentorship, and to figure out if it makes sense for me to invest in real state. Currently renting, and trying to debate whether to buy and live in a property or just keep renting and buy an investment property. Outside of working I enjoy running, biking. I have been training for my first triathlon which has been an interesting experience.  Nice to meet all of you!

Welcome, Michael! As you decide your next steps and if real estate investing is what you want to pursue, I highly recommend attending Brandon Turner's webinars, listening to the podcast, and attending some local real estate meet ups in your area. You can find info on meet ups by searching events on BP. Welcome and best wishes!

Originally posted by @Michael Harkins :

Hey All,

I am a 25 year old that has been living in Seattle the passed 3 years. I lived in Cleveland, OH for school before that, and grew up in the Chicago area. Currently a software engineer trying to become more financial independent. On here for mentorship, and to figure out if it makes sense for me to invest in real state. Currently renting, and trying to debate whether to buy and live in a property or just keep renting and buy an investment property. Outside of working I enjoy running, biking. I have been training for my first triathlon which has been an interesting experience.  Nice to meet all of you!

Hello and welcome! Best of luck to you!

Welcome to BP! There’s plenty of info on here and great recommendations on books to read for more info. As an example, It took me only 3 months between starting to learn and going under contract for my first rental property.

Good luck!

Originally posted by @Michael Harkins :

Hey All,

Welcome to the site Michael.

Hello! @Michael Harkins

Welcome to BP, and congratulations on making the decision to invest in your future via real estate.

I have written a few blog posts that may help you get started here on BP, and with your investing. Please click on the links, give them a read, and share your thoughts in the comments.

First is a post that I feel will help not get overwhelmed with the amount of info that is here on BP:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52761-the-simple-guide-to-getting-started-on-bp

The second is a post that will help get you focused with your real estate investing goals:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52743-im-new-to-bp-any-advice-would-be-appriciated

The last one is a post that will help you choose an “investor friendly” real estate agent.

There are many agents out there, but it’s important to choose the right one.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/5868/52724-im-new-to-investing-how-do-i-find-an-investor-friendly-agent

I love answering questions if you have any! Good Luck :)

@Michael Harkins Welcome - this a great forum to learn about investing! As a Seattle Realtor, your question really depends on what your buying power is because it's a really tough market for buyers right now, but it's a great time to buy if you're able to! Rent prices are ridiculous, and rates are so low that it makes sense to buy if you can.  Please feel free to reach out if you'd like to talk about your options!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you