Skip to content
New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Leanne Pressly
Votes |
Help me evaluate three options for offloading current rental ?

Leanne Pressly
Posted Jul 11 2018, 10:00

Hi Everyone, I'm new here and seeking some opinions on offloading a rental property.

Background: 2K sq ft single family home in HOT market in Colorado. I've owned it 2 years and break even on the rent. I intended to fix/ flip but since having contractors look at it, I've changed my mind. It's a pandoras box of renovation needs and I thus far can't find a contractor willing to do it (hot market has drawn them all to new construction) 

When I bought the property, there was a splittable 25X150 lot next door. I paid $310 and it's now worth about $420 without the lot-- so I could make a bit of $ and keep the lot (now worth $90K)

Here are my choices:

1) Sell house pay capital gains (25%) and pay down other RE debt or use that cash to build new rental on lot next door.

2) Sell house and do 1031 exchange into another investment property in better shape.

3) Scrape house and build triplex.  (somewhat of a moral dilemma here-- the former owner currently lives next door- an 80 yr old lady who lived in the house for 65 years and lots of folks in town who'd judge me for demolishing a historically remarkable home)

Would love some feedback on this! Leanne

Loading replies...