Quit Six Figure Job & Moved To FL; Help Funding Duplex Househack

2 Replies

Hi,

So here's the scenario: I quit my "high income" job and moved to another state. I have money saved up, no current income, and live with my fiancé who has a full time job. I found a duplex we intend to house hack and fund with a VA loan for 0 money down and no PMI. We'd live in one unit for free, then cash flow ~$700 after moving out. If a lender won't fund due to me not having a job at the moment, what are some other options?

Hi Obed - your other options are 

1. partnering with other investors who would want in on your deal

(I know people who are interested in buying in FL so feel free to shoot me a message with the details)

2. Outside of that you can try and negotiate seller financing with the owner which may give you time to find a new job and refinance the deal

3. Or you can take a hard money loan if you expect to get a job within a few months (the more expensive and risky option but possibly worth it if the deal is excellent and you can't get conventional finance)

Thank your for the response. My unemployment is temporary so seller financing or HML sound the most appealing. I have to do some homework on seller financing as I'm not really familiar with the specifics.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you